SPD cleat and mountain shoe for road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not crazy at all. Extremely sensible especially if you want to walk any distance without risking breaking your neck!
No one GAF what you wear on the bike in reality!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Road shoes and cleats are only appropriate if you plan to tap out the miles and not stop except perhaps at a café.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon that the majority of the people I ride with use MTB shoes and pedals!

There are one or two who still ride flat pedals with ordinary shoes/boots, and a few others who use dedicated road shoes/pedals, but most people prefer being able to wander about off the bike without slipping over or wearing out cleats.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
IMO the sweet spot for the casual roadie / all-roader is the cyclocross or cross country shoe. I have a pair of Shimano XC5s which seem to nicely fill the middle ground between pointy road shoes and chunky MTB items. :smile:

Jody

Stubborn git
No one GAF what you wear on the bike in reality!

That pretty much sums it up and especially footwear.

I assume the big advantage of road pedals is weight. My MTB SPD shoes weigh a fair amount and so do the M520's but I can't see me ever swapping for road specific pedals.

NotAsGoodAsMyBike

That's what I do.

Mtb shoes have stiff enough soles and don't make you look too wanky when you walk in them.

Me too. I have double-sided MTB style SPD pedals fitted to all my bikes - including a very expensive titanium road bike. I much prefer using shoes I can walk in, even if it is only the few feet back through my front door!

figbat

Slippery scientist
SPDs on my road, gravel and XC MTB. I bought a bike once with SPD-SLs; they immediately came off it in favour of some SPDs.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once weighed a set of road shoes with cleats and SPD-SL pedals against a set of the mountain bike SPD equivalent and found that to be around double the weight.

BigMeatball

I once weighed a set of road shoes with cleats and SPD-SL pedals against a set of the mountain bike SPD equivalent and found that to be around double the weight.

Which setup was heavier? MTB or Road?

Anyways, general observation: I see too many amateur cyclists giving WAY TOO much consideration to the weight of components. People going the extra mile and spending hundreds of bucks to get a component that is 2-3-400 grams lighter.

Then you see them in real life and they are overweight and flabby middle aged men. Are you concerned about weight? Why don't you try and skip a meal every once in a while? :laugh: :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
People going the extra mile and spending hundreds of bucks to get a component that is 2-3-400 grams lighter.

I'd be surprised if it's much less than a KG difference, especially coupled with the pedals.

My MTB shoes weigh 1.1KG with cleats. So almost 1.5KG with pedals.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Obviously the SPD setup was double the weight, just handling the pedals will tell you that.

I'm certainly not concerned about my weight, which is normal for my height. However I do enjoy riding a nice light responsive bike especially as most of my riding is up hills. Test-ride a sub-7kg road bike and you'll see what I mean.

Top Bottom