SPD Cleat Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi, if I purchase these shoes Shimano M065 SPD - do I just need these SPD Cleats to accompany them ?

This is my pedal...

spds.jpeg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In a nutshell....yes

Slioch

Guru
Yes.

The cleats you've linked to is the SH56, which have a multidirectional release. Some people regard these as being suitable for beginners because they're a bit more forgiving.

The other type of cleat is the SH51, which release by turning your heel outwards. A bit less forgiving than the SH56, but your foot is less likely to pop out unexpectedly.

Both of these will work with your pedals. The type you use is down to personal preference.

Mike_P

Guru
A set of SH51 cleats should have supplied with the pedals, as I have commented on another thread I use a 51 on the left shoe and a 56 on the right shoe, always stopping with my right foot on the ground.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, although I would recommend bypassing the SH56 cleats and getting used to SH51 cleats. SH51 cleats release more predictably.

vickster

Legendary Member
A set of SH51 cleats should have supplied with the pedals, as I have commented on another thread I use a 51 on the left shoe and a 56 on the right shoe, always stopping with my right foot on the ground.
Those pedals don’t look new though? Came on a used bike perhaps :scratch:
I can’t clip in anymore but I only ever used SH51, never an issue on loose tension

Mike_P

Guru
I can’t clip in anymore but I only ever used SH51, never an issue on loose tension
Best to test clipping in and out whilst holding onto a suitable post. That was when I discovered my right foot was well trapped with a 51 despite slackening the tension off unless it was so loose it hardly ever stayed in. Possibly because of that I do not find the 56 releasing when not intended.

vickster

Legendary Member
Best to test clipping in and out whilst holding onto a suitable post. That was when I discovered my right foot was well trapped with a 51 despite slackening the tension off unless it was so loose it hardly ever stayed in. Possibly because of that I do not find the 56 releasing when not intended.
I’ve never had an issue though in 000s of miles of SH51 on several sets of pedals and different shoes

Mike_P

Guru
I’ve never had an issue though in 000s of miles of SH51 on several sets of pedals and different shoes
Lucky you, maybe the trouble I have is that at birth apparently one foot, presumably the right, was pointing the wrong way. Given that 56s get sold presumably their are a number of people who have similar issues with one or both feet.

Top Bottom