Spd or Road shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
tried both. saw no advantage at my 'performance' level. wanted one standard across a fleet of 5 bikes so went back to SPD's with off road shoes. Prefered shoe+pedal combo for all-day-every-day riding is identical to HLaB's explained above but I can do 100kms on M520 spd pedals in my Tahoe's with no bother

som3blok3

Another +1 for MTB SPDs on a road bike, the shoes are so much easier to walk in which is good for me as I tend to stop at the supermarket every night on the way home, wouldn't want to walk like a knob now would I!!

I've got a set of these, a pair of these for winter riding and a pair of these for summer riding. Might get some SPD flip flops when it gets really hot :rolleyes:

RUTHIEBAV

Got to add my twopennuth worth. I use SPDs and love them. As a bonus they clip in very comfortably in the spinning bikes in the gym which means I can train harder when its horrible weather.
RuthieB (fair weather rider!)

Another +1 for MTB SPDs on a road bike, the shoes are so much easier to walk in which is good for me as I tend to stop at the supermarket every night on the way home, wouldn't want to walk like a knob now would I!!

I've got a set of these, a pair of these for winter riding and a pair of these for summer riding. Might get some SPD flip flops when it gets really hot :rolleyes:

I'd try on the Shimano MO76 before buying. I looked at buying a pair of those earlier in the year, but on trying them on in my LBS, though the shoes fitted, as in length, they were way too narrow for my feet. If buying the MO76's I would have had to go to a size 45, which looked way too big on my feet. In the end I plumped for a very nice (though more expensive than I would have liked) pair of Northwave size 43 I believe.

Brian

Zoiders

If you look at the midrange shoes by the likes of Spesh or Shimano most off road shoes are nigh on identical to the road ones, they just have the lumpy sole on them as well.

Loads of choice in a "road style" shoe as they are in fact the same shoe body.

OP
OP
Basil.B

Basil.B

Guru
Plenty of advice thanks.
Still can't make up my mind though.
unsure.gif

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
*is going to make a video about walking in SPD-SL's* come on, it's EASY!
if expensive, unless you're sufficiently organised to carry the little cover thingys.

Why, oh why did Shimano abandon SPD-R's. Now that was a road cleat.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SPD's are the best for being easy to live with, especially if you need to walk in them. As for security of attachment, power transfer, long distance then it has to be a road pedal system.

I use both btw. I commute with MTB SPD's, and actually most of my riding is this.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I use SPDs and Pearl Izumi off-road shoes, mainly for consistancy; as I do a bit of mountain biking I want them to clip in & out predictably.

Also, I'm too cheap to buy an extra pair of shoes! :blush:

Top Bottom