SPD pedal servicing/disassembly problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
I had a slight clicking in a L/H side Shimano M520 SPD pedal, so decided to take it apart and service it.
I got the Shimano tool TL-PD40 (the grey thing in the picture), which engages with the splines on the lock ring on the axle so it can be loosened.

It took a lot of force, and suddenly the ring loosened. However, instead of the axle just coming out as shown on all the youtube clips, the ring now just spins on the axle but can't be moved either further in or out - I can't disassemble the pedal, nor tighten it up again. There is now a gap of about 1 mm (in red in the picture) where the ring spins, but I can't move it either in or out.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I just write this pedal off as completely knackered?

I think the interior threaded tube broke off from the splined collar. The entire thing should have just screwed out. The pedal is screwed.

Mfezela

The pedal should still be useable. The threaded portion is welded / corroded / otherwise fixed in place so the axle can't slide out. I'd happily ride it although checking on a regular basis.

Top Bottom