SPD pedals or flat pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

joesteve

Having ridden clipless on my MTB's for years I rented a bike at Laggan Wolftrax with flats and had a spin round the red route a couple of weeks ago. I couldnt believe how often my feet came of the pedals on the jumps and rocky sections. My scraped shins are proof that there is a technique to keeping feet on pedals that I havent mastered. Like others have said once you learn to clip out you do it instintviley when coming off. I have always found its more of an issue on steep or technical uphills when you need to get your foot down but have still got too much pressure on the pedals.

Sorry but I can't see it. Flats are definately better (for me) on my Boardman hardtail. I am more confident and must therefore be a better rider than when clipped in. I am having this debate (with myself) about going back to flats on my road bikes. There is just too much unnecessary 'faff', expense and bother with clipless pedals. I have never slipped off a flat pedal and can ride off in any shoe/boot I fancy, and yet don't seem to lose much, if anything, in performance.

Just my humble opinion.
(well actually, not just mine)

Bill

cookeaa

I normally use flats for DH and Clips for XC/general trail riding, but lately I’ve found myself riding much harder with the clips so I’m very seriously considering using them for DH too, especially in wet and muddy conditions… I’ve found that if you are riding in a more “Fully Committed” way i.e. not wanting to dab a foot in that tight corner or dragging your brakes on entry’s then SPDs make perfect sense so long as you are relaxed but concentrating on your riding… The key to riding with either well is still technique; drop your heels, use your knees, “steer with your torso” applies to both. As ever practise will make a far bigger difference than kit…

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I've had issues with SPDs since I started using them in the mid-'90s, at least one of which will eventually form the basis for a 'rider's tale...'

That said, I think I'm finally (after 17-18 years) using them confidently all the time off road. Where I live we have every type of terrain including very technical bits, cobbled descents, muddy peat bogs, tree roots, huge boulders and everything else. Eventually, when you're confident that you can get out of them quickly and reliably, you switch from not feeling confident unless you're unclipped, to not feeling confident unless you're clipped in.

That's when they start to work.

vsmith1

I have to say that I switched to SPDs in the mid-90s then changed to Time ATACs and still use them to this day. I much prefer the ATACs and always disappointed that clipless discussions almost always only talk about SPD.

I do remember the days of clips on MTBs - not good. Dramatically reduced the ground clearance when trying to get the foot back in.

007fair

Just got a new MTB and LBS suggest SPD's They were horrified when I asked about toe clips .. but these seem to me to be a decent compromise (ie to get 50% of the lift and security but can also put your foot down if required )
A friend has them and says they are great

Any opinions on these ? Other than that I think I may go for single sided SPD's

Bicycle

It must come down to personal preference.

I like to feel that my feet will stay on the pedals however wet or muddy it is and however big a bump, rock, stump or sudden dip I barge into - so I use clipless.

I also find clipless make it easier to drag or lift the rear of the bike over or round things in my way. I feel as if I have an extra point of leverage.

I've gone gradually over to Crank Bros (Egg Beater or Candy). They are super-quick to get out of and offer a lot of float. They are also very hard to get clogged up (MTB).

I ride XC rather than very technical stuff, but I do tend to unclip when approaching something daunting.

Having said that, I've never reached the end of a crash (MTB or road) still attached to the pedals.

Separation of shoe and pedal seems to be one of the first parts of the crashing process.

PK99

Legendary Member
Just got a new MTB and LBS suggest SPD's They were horrified when I asked about toe clips .. but these seem to me to be a decent compromise (ie to get 50% of the lift and security but can also put your foot down if required )
A friend has them and says they are great

Any opinions on these ? Other than that I think I may go for single sided SPD's

far easier to get your foot out of spds than toe clips! Simple twist and down becomes natural after a while

007fair

far easier to get your foot out of spds than toe clips! Simple twist and down becomes natural after a while

Thats what they said! I do mean strapless toe clips - which would appear to be easier to get your foot out of? I do use SPD's for road use so I am aware what they are like Just don't fancy them for any sort of technical MTB'ing

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just don't fancy them for any sort of technical MTB'ing

Quite the opposite actually. I find that being positively clipped to the bike gives the control needed to tackle tricky sections with confidence while any thought of clipping out in readiness would compromise control to such a point that failure became inevitable. Prepare to fail = fail everytime, much better to commit and conquer.

Top Bottom