SPD Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've had these Shimano pedals lying around in the parts bin for a few years now and thought I might put them on my gravel bike to try going clipless.

The two have slightly different styles so will the same shoes fit them both, and also what types of SPD are they?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They're much the same thing, should be fine with the same cleat.

You can then choose Shimano SH56 that will release in all directions or SH51 cleats that release in one direction

D

Deleted member 23692

Top pedals are XT PD-780 (or the newer PD-T8000 if they have pins on the platform side)

Bottom ones are PD-M324

Both use the same cleats but the XT have better bearings - steel sleeve as opposed to plastic on the M324s. I've used the PD-780s on my gravel bike for a good few years now and they will last longer than the bike :smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There is an "SPD compendium" in another forum (not mine) that will make your head spin. But yes, virtually all SPD pedals work with the current cleat options. The degree of float may be compromised if you try current cleats on really old pedals from the early 90s, but they are secure.

OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
That bottom pedal looks slightly bent?

(edit: perhaps it's just the angle of the edge of the pedal in relation to the camera i.e. parallax)

Just checked the pedals. Perfectly straight, must have been camera angle.

Top Bottom