Spd-sl over MTB spd pedals, but why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Several firms do road shoes designed to take 2 bolt SPD cleats, so the choice isn't so clear cut.

For me it was simple - I want to be able to wear any of my shoes on any of my bikes, so straight SPD it is.

Any recommendations? I have SPD on all my bikes and really like them. I ride in fairly heavy Shimano MTB shoes. I've been doing a lot of hill climbing recently and have started to notice the weight of the shoes, so would like lighter, racier ones but which take SPDs.

Drago

Legendary Member
I got a set of Shimano road shoes. Nothing too flash, but fair value at £70., though they've come down in price of late...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-R...ds_Athletic_Shoes_ET&var=&hash=item2322135e87

Here's a set which'll run either cleat system...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-R...ds_Athletic_Shoes_ET&var=&hash=item43b010e001

I think the main benefit of SL is being a touch lighter, but a few less biscuits a day for a week would achieve probably more and cost nothing.

betty swollocks

large member
Following advice on here I started my clipless journey with mtb spd pedals and love them, but I know the general consensus (or just my perception of comments on here) that spd-sl pedals are better for road bikes.

But why?

Because they are a little lighter and they supposedly, along with supposedly stiffer road-specific shoes, spread the pressure from your foot more, thereby reducing the chances of you getting hotfoot.
There's not much in it really and I much prefer double-sided mtb spd's.
They're on my road bikes.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You used to be able to buy a pedal that was SPD one side, SPD SL the other - haven't seen them for a long time though. A lot of club riders use SPDs on road bikes, and there is no shame, or discrimination - mainly because the walking bit (cake stop) is so much easier.:smile:

In the past I've ended up with 4 different pedal systems (road & mtb) across 5 bikes, but over the last year or so I've converted everything to SPD. I find that combined with a good stiff shoe they're 95% as good as a road specific pedal (I've used Look's & SPD-SL's) and being able to walk without looking like Bambi is well worth the 5%.

sittingbull

Veteran
One possible drawback of SPD's I've noticed is through the Winter when temperatures are very low and the frame and cranks etc get extremely cold, so does the bottom of my feet :cold:

I've put this down to the metal SPD's conducting bodyheat away. The innersoles must help reduce this, as do 2 pairs of socks. I wear neoprene overshoes too, but it's always the bottom of each foot.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a lovely pair of XTR's on my road bike:smile:
Looking at them myself , or something similar after i got a pair of pedals off paul sectuar with a bigger platform around the cleat i much prefer them and i am on the bargain hunt for some spd type pedals with some platform around it.
Easier for me to do this than change all my bikes and shoes, plus i like the recessed cleat although you can feel the pedal edge through your shoes if your really giving it some hammer with 520`s

cyberknight

One possible drawback of SPD's I've noticed is through the Winter when temperatures are very low and the frame and cranks etc get extremely cold, so does the bottom of my feet :cold:

I've put this down to the metal SPD's conducting bodyheat away. The innersoles must help reduce this, as do 2 pairs of socks. I wear neoprene overshoes too, but it's always the bottom of each foot.
I had numb feet coming home today , the windchill is what got me from the nasty wind .
waht you need to do is get a blowtorch and warm your pedals up pre ride or maybe get some thermal insoles ?

sittingbull

Veteran
waht you need to do is get a blowtorch and warm your pedals up pre ride or maybe get some thermal insoles ?

I've considered socks with a heating element (I'm sure I've seen them somewhwhere) and I've got gloves with the same - not used them on the cycle though, not too keen on batteries and wires everywhere.

I like the blowtorch idea though :thumbsup: Years ago I used to put my leather motorbike gloves on the exhaust when I stopped, for a quick warm, they never stayed warm for long though :sad:

cyberknight

I've considered socks with a heating element (I'm sure I've seen them somewhwhere) and I've got gloves with the same - not used them on the cycle though, not too keen on batteries and wires everywhere.

I like the blowtorch idea though :thumbsup: Years ago I used to put my leather motorbike gloves on the exhaust when I stopped, for a quick warm, they never stayed warm for long though :sad:
I used to warm my hands up by putting them in by the exhaust from peoples central heating boilers when i was a milkman, could be blooming cold picking up up to 3 bottles in each hand all day in sub zero temperatures.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Top tier road pedals, Keo's or SL or whatever, are lighter than MTB pedals. Whether or not that matters to you is a different story.
MTB people are also affected by carbon and titanium fetishes, so the top tier MTB pedals are just as light as the top tier road pedals.

Top Bottom