Spd-sl over MTB spd pedals, but why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One possible drawback of SPD's I've noticed is through the Winter when temperatures are very low and the frame and cranks etc get extremely cold, so does the bottom of my feet :cold:

I've put this down to the metal SPD's conducting bodyheat away. The innersoles must help reduce this, as do 2 pairs of socks. I wear neoprene overshoes too, but it's always the bottom of each foot.

No, that's because it is cold outside in general ! :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use XT SPD's more than I do my LOOKS. commuting, then MTB sPD's are far mor convenient, and the fact I have a walk in them, as well as carrying the bike up and down stairs fully loaded.

I find the LOOKS far better for foot retention, I can pull my feet out of SPD's, but not at all in LOOKS. Road pedals have their place, as do MTB type pedals. MTB ones are easier to get on with day to day.

sittingbull

Veteran
No, that's because it is cold outside in general ! :tongue:
Maybe so but my hands are OK and I can be sweating but my feet are always disproportionately cold.

I reckon those riders who perhaps ....er....have a higher percentage of bodyfat....have an advantage when the temperature drops, I'm not so well insulated myself.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Your feet get cold because you are not moving them much (I know I know, you are moving them, but not the foot itself that is your legs) and they are tied fairly tightly into a shoe with a stiff sole and quite often air vents in the soles. Hands unless you have Reynauds will stay warmer as you tend to move them around a bit and are in flexible gloves.
Tips, if you are getting cold feet, check that any vents are taped up on the shoes during the winter months. I will also put sandwich bags over my socks. Invest in a good pair of overshoes. If all else fails invest in some winter boots.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Your feet get cold because you are not moving them much (I know I know, you are moving them, but not the foot itself that is your legs) and they are tied fairly tightly into a shoe with a stiff sole and quite often air vents in the soles. Hands unless you have Reynauds will stay warmer as you tend to move them around a bit and are in flexible gloves.
Tips, if you are getting cold feet, check that any vents are taped up on the shoes during the winter months. I will also put sandwich bags over my socks. Invest in a good pair of overshoes. If all else fails invest in some winter boots.

Gaffa tape will be a lot cheaper than overshoes!

vickster

Legendary Member
I've started using SPD on my road bike having trouble re-engaging as they flip over as peddles are top heavy would I have the same trouble with SPD-SL's ?
Yes. Get some M520 pedals, the clips are then on both sides. No more issues. However, these won't work if you ever ride in 'normal' shoes

I have swapped to such pedals on 3 of my bikes, got very miffed with the pedals never being in the right position and indeed I had a crash as I was looking at my feet on a particularly troublesome day with new shoes and didn't see a chicane type road set up :sad:

Adam Robertson

Yes. Get some M520 pedals, the clips are then on both sides. No more issues. However, these won't work if you ever ride in 'normal' shoes

I have swapped to such pedals on 3 of my bikes, got very miffed with the pedals never being in the right position and indeed I had a crash as I was looking at my feet on a particularly troublesome day with new shoes and didn't see a chicane type road set up :sad:
Was looking at those and M530 but got told there not very comfortable for long distances on the road ..I won't have to swap shoes got R088 so compatible for both types of peddles just need to change cleats

vickster

Legendary Member
I did 100 miles on them...and I've done many other 50+ days

Comfort comes from the shoes not pedals ime

Ymmv though :smile: I find the pedals being the wrong way round far more annoying and frankly dangerous now!

Adam Robertson

I did 100 miles on them...and I've done many other 50+ days

Comfort comes from the shoes not pedals ime

Ymmv though :smile: I find the pedals being the wrong way round far more annoying and frankly dangerous now!
Totally annoying that's why I want to change .thats why I was thinking regarding spd-sl peddles bigger area for easy clip in

Top Bottom