Spd sl shoe width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I have had the dreaded numbness in toes for some time now and trying to get to bottom of it.

After a bit of research and some adjustments to cleats, seat height etc, I am 99% sure it is my shoe width that is the issue.

I am generally an 8.5-9 (max 9) in regular shoes and my current Specialized comp rd are a 42.

I have measured the insole of them for reference, I have attached a picture of them for reference also.

I have never needed wide fit regular shoes or trainers in my life but it definitely appears these current ones are too narrow and crushing my little toe on both feet after around 30 minute into a ride.

Can anyone advise on what I should go for instead, it’s difficult finding a local shop with various different shoes to try on.

Attachments

• 6D2AE89C-6F74-4C2C-B6C0-DFFECDFD06B3.jpeg
    6D2AE89C-6F74-4C2C-B6C0-DFFECDFD06B3.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 511C49E5-2935-4839-87E8-527F01F6D645.jpeg
    511C49E5-2935-4839-87E8-527F01F6D645.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 2

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cycling shoes tend to come up narrow , as a rule of thumb +1 eu size compared to your normal shoe size .im a 42 eu 8 and i need a 43 in most cycle shoes .
for your size i would have said at least a 43 if not a 44 , best thing to do is try on or if you can afford too use wiggle and get a couple of pairs in different sizes and see which fits better then return the other ones.Remember your feet swell a little as you ride so you need a little wiggle room

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Lake shoes have multiple wider options & good sizing guide. Sigma have the cx176 on a good price. I have the mx176 spd equivalent & they are much more room across the foot than my spesh torch 3 shoes.

+1 to Lake and especially from Sigma. I suffer from foot issues and have wide feet. Lake wide fit shoes are very good In particular the CX176 that I now have 3 pairs of plus another of the MX version for spd cleats.

in anticipation of smart ars*s asking why I have 3 pairs of the same shoe is they are so good - one pair is white one is black and the other is black and still in the box for use when the first black ones give up the ghost, I ordered v recently due to an excellent online sale price I couldn’t pass on.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I don't understand. Just get your feet measured at a proper bike shop - length, width, arch height and then buy the right size shoes and arch support insoles.

Northwave "half sizes" ie 42,5 43,5 etc are supposed to be wider than the round figure sizes.

I had this issue and went with northwave - problem solved.
I did go up 1.5 sizes and the fit isn't snug - but haven't had any problems since.

Edit: if your regular shoe size is 9 - but your cycling shoes are 42 - aren't you down a size to begin with ? If so it might be you just need bigger shoes .....

Last edited:
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I don't understand. Just get your feet measured at a proper bike shop - length, width, arch height and then buy the right size shoes and arch support insoles.
it’s difficult finding a local shop with various different shoes to try on.

Taken from OP

Let alone a shop that measures arch height etc.

The high street has shrunk my friend

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I had this issue and went with northwave - problem solved.
I did go up 1.5 sizes and the fit isn't snug - but haven't had any problems since.

Edit: if your regular shoe size is 9 - but your cycling shoes are 42 - aren't you down a size to begin with ? If so it might be you just need bigger shoes .....

My regular shoes are 8- 8.5 -9 with 8 being my most common size.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
it’s difficult finding a local shop with various different shoes to try on.

Taken from OP

Let alone a shop that measures arch height etc.

The high street has shrunk my friend
OK, point taken - I don't know where you live. But have you tried calling around and asking what your local shops stock? In my experience, every shop that stocks Lake is also equipped with some sort of apparatus that measures your paws. PS, if your feet are different sizes, which is not uncommon, Lake can sell you two shoes in different size for an extra £10.

Top Bottom