SPDs....Just do it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
I was always against going down the SPD route,and if I admit,it was mainly through fear

Anyway,took the plunge when I bought my new Cube Peloton Pro and all I can say to those still considering it (or to those who have never considered it)....

Just do it ^_^

The difference is amazing,much more power and much easier to clip/unclip than I imagined

Its actually scarier sitting practising holding onto the wall than when you get out their for real, as the feeling of being strapped in is much stronger.

You (or I did) tend to sit there holding on to the garden wall/fence pulling upwards and feeling that sense of your feet being glued to the pedals :blink:

Once your out their the only worrying bit is when you come to a stop

I loosened the pedals to maximum slack and take one foot out 10-20 ft before I need to stop

Then on setting off, don't fully clip in until I'm happy to do so,which is not long

I know the "forget to unclip" will happen one day soon but I'm not going to make that stop me using them.

The only downside I've noticed is some strain on my knees, but I have a bike fit booked for next week which will hopefully iron that out

Just do it ^_^

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I could not tell a huge difference with them at first to be honest. I have Shimano M324's on my other bike which are flats on one side and SPD's on the other. This is because I do not want to be clipped in when my daughter is on the child seat. When I use the regular pedals now my feet just seem to be sliding all over the place and it just does not feel efficient at all. I could not use regular flat pedals now it feels rubbish. Going back to flats is how I realised how good they are.

When I first got my shoes the guy in LBS set my cleats and my knees were really bothering me. I read a bit on the net and set them myself by letting my legs dangle over the side of a table so I could figure out the natural position of my feet on the pedals. I have had no problems since I adjusted them myself, the guy in the LBS just made the cleat position so my feet were more or less straight on the pedals. My knees were killing after about 10 miles and I thought I was going to have to go back to flats. Plenty of guides on the net for cleat positioning.

Reactions: 2wd
OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
. When I use the regular pedals now my feet just seem to be sliding all over the place and it just does not feel efficient at all. I could not use regular flat pedals now it feels rubbish. Going back to flats is how I realised how good they are..

Spot on description :thumbsup:

Thats pretty much the point I was trying to get accross but didnt say it ^_^

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Knee strain without numb foot probably toe in\out if its accompanied by numb foot try the cleat back a bit as well.

Knee strain with numb foot

I sort of worked out the cleat was too far forward yesterday and adjusted to the middle, but not been out with the new settings

Take an allen key with you that way you can adjust them and make sure the fixing screws are tight nothing worse than trying to unclip just to find the cleat has attached itself to the pedal and just turns requiring your shoe to come off.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Just like buses. You wait for months then about 6 clipless threads come along.

Just go for it. 2 or 3 bolts don't matter. MTB style shoes are usually recessed allowing easier walking.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Take an allen key with you that way you can adjust them and make sure the fixing screws are tight nothing worse than trying to unclip just to find the cleat has attached itself to the pedal and just turns requiring your shoe to come off.

Snap. I always have allen keys with my multi-tool but my bolts are secured with thread lock. Even so I check bolts regularly.

OP
OP
2wd

2wd

Canyon Aeroad CF 7.0 Di2
Update....

Had my first clipless moment a few weeks ago on the Manchester 100 ride

My heads programmed to unclip at all junctions and traffic lights, but not when asked to pull to the side of the kerb to wait for some of our group to catch up.

Totally forgot and fell sideways onto the kerb,no bike damage as I my body took the impact but sported a big bruise on my knee for a few days :blush:

Raised a laughs and a few "WTF are you doing" comments :laugh:

Reactions: 4F

Drago

Legendary Member
In the Bible, the Koran, and the guidebook to every major religion it says in Genesis "and on the 8th day God created SPDs, an lo! He saw that it was good". In revelations it says "and The Lord cast thou flat pedals unto the sodomites".

The Walrus

I changed to clipless 6 months ago. Not had a single problem on the road bike but I've had plenty of clip stacks on the MTB!

It's a different experience off road!

Top Bottom