spds or flats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

spds. Once you've tried spds you won't want to go back to flats.
Just make sure you get double-sided ones. Some people will tell you single-sided oens are good, but they mainly like them 'cos they look pretty - in fact, they're a pain in the arse 'cos you have to constantly keep faffing about flipping them over onto the right side.

Bigtallfatbloke

I have double sided shimano spds...M something or other...they are perfect...BUT...I have a slight concern in the back of my mind as to what I would do if one of my shoes ever broke or get lost...I have size 13 feet so finding aLBS with 13's in a walkable roadshoe would be impossible.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I've got flats.

I don't even have toe straps. I know it's not the done thing to use flats but I like them and don't fancy the idea of clipping into my bike. I might try toe straps in the next few months but don't let anyone beat you up if you want to use flats. They'll still get you up the hill, albeit less efficiently.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have double sided shimano spds...M something or other...they are perfect...BUT...I have a slight concern in the back of my mind as to what I would do if one of my shoes ever broke or get lost...I have size 13 feet so finding aLBS with 13's in a walkable roadshoe would be impossible.

I have direct experience of that scenario - in France. The sole detached from a nearly new pair of SPD shoes. For me the hassle was find an open bike shop on a Monday as lots of shops in France treat Monday as an extension of Sunday and remain closed.

The first open bike shop had some shoes that did the trick but did not have recesses for the SPD cleats. I'm currently wearing them out before I revert to shoes with recesses for SPD cleats.

Getting back to the original question, although I am a convert to SPD pedals and shoes and recommend them whole heartedly, there are still adherents to flats and toe clips. It's a matter of what floats your boat.

Zoiders

Straps are just plain dangerous, more dangerous than SPDs by a long way, yes you can fall sideways with SPDs but that will be a few fleeting experiences when you are getting used to them, straps on the other hand will not disengage when you strike something head on, SPDs tend to unclip, as I discovered last time I went over a car bonnet, the bike and myself parted company, If I had been using straps it would have stayed with me and poked large holes in me when I landed

I find I cant use flats at speed out of the saddle anymore as my foot always comes away from the pedal on the upstroke, nothing to pull against you see

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Zoiders said:
Straps are just plain dangerous, more dangerous than SPDs by a long way, yes you can fall sideways with SPDs but that will be a few fleeting experiences when you are getting used to them, straps on the other hand will not disengage when you strike something head on, SPDs tend to unclip, as I discovered last time I went over a car bonnet, the bike and myself parted company, If I had been using straps it would have stayed with me and poked large holes in me when I landed

I find I cant use flats at speed out of the saddle anymore as my foot always comes away from the pedal on the upstroke, nothing to pull against you see

I wonder how cyclists coped before clipless systems were invented.....:biggrin:

RedBike

I suppose it all depends on how far you're riding. It has to be Look pedals for me. Can't stand 6/7 hours in the saddle using SPDs.

You can't walk in shoes that use Look cleats; but this isn't a problem for me as (when touring) I always have a set of shoes with me that I can walk in.

domtyler

Über Member
SPDs are good for very short trips or for cyclists who are lacking a little in confidence or maybe advancing in years somewhat, flats more so.

For any serious road riding though, a road shoe and pedal combination is required.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
domtyler said:
SPDs are good for very short trips or for cyclists who are lacking a little in confidence or maybe advancing in years somewhat,

For any serious road riding though, a road shoe and pedal combination is required.

Cheeky bugger, SPD's are very good if you want to have the ability to walk in the shoe off the bike rather than auditioning for dancing on ice.

OP
OP
R

rikgrimsby

ive heard spd's are very good for most things.ive got a koga bike at the min with dmrv12s on it the v12s arnt all that not for £40+

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cathryn said:
I've got flats.

I don't even have toe straps. I know it's not the done thing to use flats but I like them and don't fancy the idea of clipping into my bike. I might try toe straps in the next few months but don't let anyone beat you up if you want to use flats. They'll still get you up the hill, albeit less efficiently.

I personally would rather go on a tour with Bonj than use straps. SPD's are much easier to get in and out of and efficient and comfortable. They are a bit scary for a short while but nowhere near as scary as trying to unstrap in an emergency IMHO.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I found the Look keos i use easier then straps. You may think its scary to be clipped to the bike, but when you get used to them you can see how they are alot better when you go and ride a bike with flats. You get over what ever fear you might have with the quick when you realise how easy it is to just unclip once you get the technique.
Its not too hard to walk in them either when you get used to them.

Top Bottom