spds or flats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ASC1951

Guru
bonj said:
Just make sure you get double-sided ones. Some people will tell you single-sided oens are good, but they mainly like them 'cos they look pretty - in fact, they're a pain in the arse 'cos you have to constantly keep faffing about flipping them over onto the right side.
I've always toured with single sided spds and had no problem.

I have them on my fixie, too. That's harder because it's a moving target, but it's an easy technique to master. In fact in the days of toeclips and straps everyone had to do it.

And as for domtyler reckoning we should all ride in shoes that make you walk like a duck with piles, well that might be quicker on a day trip but it's totally unsuitable for touring. Only useful, in fact, for those who lack the mental stamina to do three days in a row ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
;) Toe clips are better;), and straps are not required unless you are particularly concerned about performance. SPDs are just increased fault liability, something you want to keep to a minimum on tour.

just jim

I'd go with the double sided SPDs as well, just make sure you loosen them a good bit to begin with to avoid those embarrassing moments pulling up to traffic lights, junctions, groups of backpackers etc..

bonj2

Bigtallfatbloke said:
I have double sided shimano spds...M something or other...they are perfect...BUT...I have a slight concern in the back of my mind as to what I would do if one of my shoes ever broke or get lost...I have size 13 feet so finding aLBS with 13's in a walkable roadshoe would be impossible.

Presumably if they broke, you'd replace them the same way as you got your current ones initially?
i.e. if you got some size 13 shoes once, you must be able to do so again

Cathryn said:
I've got flats.

I don't even have toe straps. I know it's not the done thing to use flats but I like them and don't fancy the idea of clipping into my bike. I might try toe straps in the next few months but don't let anyone beat you up if you want to use flats. They'll still get you up the hill, albeit less efficiently.
Don't ever get toe straps, whatever you do. They're dangerous. They may have been slightly safer in the sixties, where there were fewer roads, fewer junctions and no traffic lights and there was hardly any traffic on them anyway, and you had plenty of time to manually undo the strap, knowing when you were going to stop, but basically any fear you have of SPDs, have the same fear about toe straps but ADD ON the necessity to manually reach down with your hand and undo the strap. Absolute death trap if you ask me.

vernon said:
I wonder how cyclists coped before clipless systems were invented.....:evil:
Some used toe straps, and although not quite as effective as SPDs given that there is the possibility of some small upward motion, they did the job. But mainly cyclists didn't go as fast.

domtyler said:
SPDs are good for very short trips or for cyclists who are lacking a little in confidence or maybe advancing in years somewhat, flats more so.

For any serious road riding though, a road shoe and pedal combination is required.
What bollocks.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I'll oppose Bonj on this and say that for touring SPD one side, flat on the other is best. This means that on long stretches with steady pedalling you can get all the benefit of being clipped in but in towns where you might be doing a lot of stopping and starting you have the advantage of flats and so being able to put your foot on the floor in a hurry.

There is no fiddling to get the side you want. When unclipped the SPD side is normally lowermost and it is simple to turn the pedal SPD side up if you need it.

davidwalton

Well, I haven't got up to mileage required for touring, yet. However, on a recumbent, I wouldn't dream of riding without being clipped in.

Currently using Frogs, but not very happy with them as they can let you lose on pull stroke which does throw you a bit. Something that in theory shouldn't happen as the only release is by turning heel out.

Been looking at Crank Brothers Candy SL as an alternative.
http://www.aktive8.com/p/Crank-Brothers/Bike-Pedals/Candy-SL-Pedal/RAWCBPECASL.html

rich p

ridiculous old lush
TBH although I would only use mtb shoes and mtb spd's I suspect for some people the next best option is flats with a fairly loose toe clip. You soon get used to flipping it right side up ( after all it's not a race), they are effective and reasonably efficient and take away the fear some have of not unclipping in time in emergencies.

Good question - having just gone to SPD's, I prefer them for riding but I don't like walking in them, so the very same problem has been going through my mind, what do I do for touring. I've even thought of going back to toe clips for touring. I think the answer will be to stick with clips but find pair of shoes which recess the SPD more, hence are comfortable to walk in. Failing that I might carry a pair of sandals.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
davidwalton said:
Well, I haven't got up to mileage required for touring, yet. However, on a recumbent, I wouldn't dream of riding without being clipped in.

Currently using Frogs, but not very happy with them as they can let you lose on pull stroke which does throw you a bit. Something that in theory shouldn't happen as the only release is by turning heel out.

Been looking at Crank Brothers Candy SL as an alternative.
http://www.aktive8.com/p/Crank-Brothers/Bike-Pedals/Candy-SL-Pedal/RAWCBPECASL.html

Oddly enough I took out my Street Machine yesterday for the first serious ride of the year, about 40 miles and I just couldn't be bothered to clip in. Dunno why, I just didn't feel like it. OTH I think that if I had a recumbent trike, I would never not clip in.

davidwalton

Andy in Sig said:
Oddly enough I took out my Street Machine yesterday for the first serious ride of the year, about 40 miles and I just couldn't be bothered to clip in. Dunno why, I just didn't feel like it. OTH I think that if I had a recumbent trike, I would never not clip in.

No clips = no pull stroke, hence will always clip in. I have never had an issue getting feet down. It is now natural to twist heel out to release.

Yes, with a trike, there is absolutely no benefit not being clipped in that I can see, and some safety reasons why you should; leg suck being one.

Have yet to hit 40 miles on a ride. Got as far as 34 miles on Friday though, so getting there;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Yes there is an increase in efficiency when clipped in and I bet somebody can give us a percentage figure for it. And you're right in that clipping in makes more sense on a bent than on an upright. It's not essential though.

Well done on getting the mileage up. My day record is 200 km (which I think is 120-odd miles) and my ambition is to do, just once, 200 miles in a day.

davidwalton

Andy in Sig said:
Well done on getting the mileage up. My day record is 200 km (which I think is 120-odd miles) and my ambition is to do, just once, 200 miles in a day.

A way for me to go yet. Took a day off after the 34 mile ride, and legs needed it:sad:

Won't be doing much this week, given the high winds forecast, but hope to be up to 50 plus miles by next month.

BTW- Going up hills, I do find I use pull strokes a lot, as well as when accelerating. Just seems the right thing to do? Without clips, you must lose so much, and make the push stroke much harder in comparison, surely?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I think there must be something wrong with either your set up or you have excessive lateral foot rotation. I have used Frogs for years and have never, ever had one 'let go' on either a road or a track bike.

Cathryn - Straps are not a 'safer' version of being clipped in. They are a retrograde step. The release in 'clipless' pedals is pretty foolproof after a few miles, where as if you have toe straps tight enough to be effective, then you have to reach down to release them.

Apart from track sprinters, toes traps are as obsolete as cable bindings are to skiing. Look how safe modern step in bindings are these days? Or is that not a good example?

davidwalton

Tim Bennet. said:
I think there must be something wrong with either your set up or you have excessive lateral foot rotation. I have used Frogs for years and have never, ever had one 'let go' on either a road or a track bike.

Has happened twice in last 3 weeks. Both times I was accelerating away from lights, so lots of energy on the pull stroke. Both times, I just found my right foot in the air and me wobbling somewhat.

BTW- right foot remains clipped in generally, as left foot goes down for stops. Right goes down when stopped for more than a few seconds, but clipped back in before moving off.

I have noticed that sometimes they don't clip in fully though, and is difficult to know until pressure is applied, ie. no confirming click as you get with other systems.

Top Bottom