Spec me a few tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

krisgoss

Hi all!
I am just about to purchase a new groupset for my bike, and need some tools for the strip and rebuild.
I have a "splined cartridge bottom bracket" currently, but will be using a Hollowtech II upon re-fit (if this is possible?)

Sooo, I would need the two tools mentioned above, a chain whip and socket remover, and a cable cutter. Am I missing anything? And would you recommend spending extra on getting "Park" tools, or should a kit like the "Icetoolz" kit do the trick?

Thanks for any recommendations

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I got this toolkit for my birthday and it seems to be reasonable value for money http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Hand-B...X13K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342943281&sr=8-4

Sent from my FondleSlab using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
krisgoss

krisgoss

Hmmm, I guess that I am leaning toward buying the tools separately as Andy and Numbnuts suggested, guarantee that I will forget to buy something though!

Are Park Tools my best bet? Got a multi-tool and spoke wrench by them, and I am highly impressed with the quality, but they are expensive. Any other brands that are recommended or just buy Park Tools first as last?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Whatever you do, if you are getting a cable cutter, get a Park Tool one. A lot of the other brands get pretty ropey reviews. Have a look on the ChainReaction website to see what people think of various bits of kit..

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not all Park Tools are good. I bought a Park 8/10mm open ended spanner (wrench) because I wanted that combination to add to a multi-tool which had only allen keys and screwdriver heads. It was the most cheaply made spanner I have ever seen, just stamped out of steel plate.

BBB and IceToolz are both quite adequate.
And for what it's worth I bought a unbranded cheapo cable-cutter which has a seen a lot of use over 3 yeasrs and still works just fine.

Top Bottom