Spec me a fixie: budget £1.000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
hubgearfreak said:
are you delighted with the frame..would it make a nice tourer as they suggest?

looks the business either way, are they 559mm wheels?

They are 559 (26 inch) wheels - I chose this size because all my other bikes have this size or 20 inch. It saves on the spares I have to stock.
As for whether the frame is suitable for touring: well, it has the braze-ons for a rear rack and Cotic say it will have the necessary heel clearance, but a trad touring frame with a long wheelbase and low bottom bracket for stability and predictable handling, it is not!
The frame appears to be beautifully made and with a lustrous paint job.
Here's a couple more pics, so you can see:-

24ngri8.jpg

2a0g4xv.jpg

Had hoped to take it out this morning, but a glance out of the kitchen window has revealed it to be snowing, so I'll take a bike out which has mudguards and keep my Roadrat clean........at least for the time being;)

And the thinner tyres will be put on when the roads are drier and less filthy.

SheilaH

I'd suggest a nice made-to measure steel frame, or a properly fitted off the peg one, with a decent pair of wheels, such as Goldtec track hubs on Open Pro. A track frame proper may have issues that are not conducive to riding on lanes, such as toe-overlap and very twitchy handling.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
SheilaH said:
I'd suggest a nice made-to measure steel frame, or a properly fitted off the peg one, with a decent pair of wheels, such as Goldtec track hubs on Open Pro. A track frame proper may have issues that are not conducive to riding on lanes, such as toe-overlap and very twitchy handling.

Thanks Sheila: that's pretty much what I've got. See above.

big steve 69

Hi, looks like you have a really nice bike there, but are the front forks facing the wrong way because the disc caliper is normally on the left hand side and behind the fork leg or is this a new way of setting the brake up.
Regards Big Steve.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
hello big steve 69 and welcome to the forum!
To answer your question: no the forks are not on the wrong way round. Here's what the manufacturers, Cotic, have to say about the set-up:-

It's on the front right for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it puts the disc brake forces into the dropout, rather than out of it so you won't get any axle movement with heavy disc braking. Secondly, it means that regardless of what caliper you're using you can always get to the mudguard eyes on the back of the dropouts. There are just too many possible caliper configurations to say 'everything works with mudguards' so we put the mount properly out of the way.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
betty swollocks said:
It's on the front right for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it puts the disc brake forces into the dropout, rather than out of it so you won't get any axle movement with heavy disc braking. Secondly, it means that regardless of what caliper you're using you can always get to the mudguard eyes on the back of the dropouts. There are just too many possible caliper configurations to say 'everything works with mudguards' so we put the mount properly out of the way.[/COLOR]

a much more sensible place too, in my opinion. there's further reading here, if anyone's interested:becool:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/

big steve 69

Hi again, so the forks are the right way round, well i must be honest ive been a bike mechanic for about 30 years and its the first time ive seen this.
Just goes to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks.
Cheers Steve.

Top Bottom