Specialized Allez 2014 - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beanzontoast
I won't comment on the frame sizing as this is so subjective - you really need to sit on/ride the bike to get a feel.

But I have some relevant experience as I very nearly bought an Allez, before opting instead for a Felt F95 - which has carbon forks - they really do make a difference. It's not so much the weight saving as the fact that they do absorb the bumps in the road a lot better - I also have an alu-forked bike and the difference IS significant.
Claris gearing is low-end, but works absolutely fine, perfectly good enough for a weekend rider IMHO. Another reason I opted for the Felt was the Sora gearing, but having ridden Claris and Sora bikes back-to-back, the differences are pretty minimal to be honest. So long as Claris is well set-up and maintained, it's good.
On a side-note, and this is just my personal view, I know Specialized bikes are great and have a lot of loyal fans, but it does seem to me that, especially at the lower end of their range, the prices are quite steep for the spec' of the components. If you've set your heart on a Spesh, then good on ya, you'll love it I'm sure, but it might be worth looking a little more widely, as I personally feel you can get more bike for your ££££

Thanks for this suggestion. Having had time to do a bit of research into the Felt, can I ask what sizing / reach / posture when riding is like for yourself? It's not an easy bike to find for a try out around these parts but I can see internet sources.

Last edited:

Pointy boy

Über Member
I'm 5'11, and the 56cm Felt fits me perfectly. I have a relatively long torso for my height ( in other words short legs). The riding position as first set up was reasonably relaxed, but I've since removed a couple of spacers to lower the bars, as I like a slightly more aggressive set up. The handling is pretty much perfect - it feels very responsive and sporty, without being twitchy or skittish. I tried both the Z- series and F- series Felts, but found the F's sportier feel more to my taste. I've been told that the Z-series geometry is closer to the Allez. If you can find one near you for a test ride, I'd recommend it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Pointy boy

Über Member
No problem. I'm always hesitant to recommend a particular bike because what works for one person might be awful for another, but I'm finding it hard to find a downside to my Felt. I think Evans stock a limited range of Felts, if there is one near you? All the F-series bikes have the same basic geometry, so even if they haven't got a '95' one of the other models in the range should give you a good feel for the bike.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Bit of a reversal - but a nice one I think...

After more looking around and thinking about things,I've plumped for a secondhand Triban 3 in glorious red.

Yes, the components are not the most expensive, yes it's not a new bike... but it's new to me! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom