Specialized Allez 2014 - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been looking at getting a Specialized Allez 2014 for general riding in evenings and at weekends (not for commuting - I use a hybrid for that and am happy to continue). I have a whole bunch of questions specific to this bike which I'm hoping forummers, especially those with this bike, might have thoughts on.

It's an alu frame (expected at the price) but also has alu forks whereas I notice a number of other bikes with alu frames do actually come with carbon forks. So - any real disadvantages to the forks being alu rather than carbon?

Size-wise, I am 5ft 9in. According to the size guide, I'm right at the bottom of the 56cm frame sizing. When I sat on a 56cm, I felt I was reaching a good way to the drops. (I plan to ride on the hoods/bars most of the time, but I've ridden steel frame bikes before where I spent more time on the drops which I why I tried it to see what it felt like). My alternative would be a 54 frame. Will a 54 result in less stretching to the drops?

Will a 54 result in a more upright position generally? But assuming I need the saddle higher on a 54 than on the 56, will that result a less upright postion?

Would this bike in the hands of a relatively fit mid-50s bloke like me cope with moderate hills?

It comes with Claris gearing - I haven't come across Claris before. I gather they are from the lower end of the Shimano family, but what are they like to use in practice?

Is now a good time to buy or is it worth holding on for the 2015 models coming out?

Any other observations or experiences of this bike are welcome.

U

User6179

The smaller the frame the more the drop between seat and saddle and a less upright position, the 56 with shorter stem might be the way to go for a more upright position or you might just be able to flip the stem on the 54 .

The now is possibly the worse time to buy as the prices will drop shortly on 2014 models as 2015 bikes come out , fwiw last year models are nearly always better value.

Pointy boy

Über Member
I won't comment on the frame sizing as this is so subjective - you really need to sit on/ride the bike to get a feel.

But I have some relevant experience as I very nearly bought an Allez, before opting instead for a Felt F95 - which has carbon forks - they really do make a difference. It's not so much the weight saving as the fact that they do absorb the bumps in the road a lot better - I also have an alu-forked bike and the difference IS significant.
Claris gearing is low-end, but works absolutely fine, perfectly good enough for a weekend rider IMHO. Another reason I opted for the Felt was the Sora gearing, but having ridden Claris and Sora bikes back-to-back, the differences are pretty minimal to be honest. So long as Claris is well set-up and maintained, it's good.
On a side-note, and this is just my personal view, I know Specialized bikes are great and have a lot of loyal fans, but it does seem to me that, especially at the lower end of their range, the prices are quite steep for the spec' of the components. If you've set your heart on a Spesh, then good on ya, you'll love it I'm sure, but it might be worth looking a little more widely, as I personally feel you can get more bike for your ££££

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm also 5'9" and ride a 56 Spesh Roubaix which has similar geometry to the Allez. It is right on the edge of my height to bike size ratio. I use a 90mm stem which I changed from the stock 110mm stem, for an easier reach. I did try a 54 but found it just a tad too compact and also because of the sloping frame geometry it had far too much seatpost showing for my liking.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A 54 will result in a greater stretch to the drops, near on an inch lower in fact. Fashion nowadays sees road bikes with an "arse in the air hands below yer knees" position which is great if all you want to do is stare at the stem ( did someone mention Froome then) but with me being mid 50s its not for me hence my interest in old steelies, some with modern kit on, some more retro.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
A 54 will result in a greater stretch to the drops, near on an inch lower in fact. Fashion nowadays sees road bikes with an "arse in the air hands below yer knees" position which is great if all you want to do is stare at the stem ( did someone mention Froome then) but with me being mid 50s its not for me hence my interest in old steelies, some with modern kit on, some more retro.

In the past, I had a Raleigh racer and a couple of Dawes Galaxies (a 1970s beauty with the chromed forks and a 1990's one which was a delight to ride) so I know something of the steel framed joy of which you speak. I haven't ruled out a return to a steel framed bike, but as well as rather than instead of something more modern. There's certainly more steel bikes going secondhand around these parts. It's knowing the great from the not-so-good that I would find the issue.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
[QUOTE 3195607, member: 45"]I'm the same height as you and have a Spesh Tricross. I tried out a 56cm (thanks @PaulSecteur !) and found it just that bit too long. So I went for a 54, and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. All the hand positions are easily reachable, and I don't find it a stretch to the drops nor a squash.[/QUOTE]

That's very useful to know - thanks. I guess as has been said, sitting and trying is my best bet. They didn't have a 54 for me to try when I called in last time - waiting for stock - and I definitely need to try sitting on the smaller frame to compare the feel.

Top Bottom