Specialized Allez Octalink Bottom Bracket - Which one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
I think My Specialized Allez is either 2015 or 2016 (I bought it 2nd hand late last year) and is fitted with the Shimano Claris Octalink Groupset.

I have recently started getting an annoying clicking noise once per pedal revolution which I think is coming from the BB. I've tightened everything I can think of but it is still there :-(

I have now ordered the 20 spline removal tool that I will need to extract the BB but I still don't know which replacement BB to purchase - can anyone help? Otherwise I will have to wait for the tool to arrive, then remove the BB to find out which one it is, then re-assemble the BB while I'm waiting for the new one to arrive :-)

Levo-Lon

Guru
It is almost definitely a standard 24mm BB Hollowtec.. Like this? Yes

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RVTEOzzNa_U

iluvmybike

Über Member
Remove cranks and you'll be able to measure axle length in situ. Shell width is just measuring the width of the frame where the bb sits

OP
OP
J

JohnHughes307

Über Member
OK - So I have learnt some things...

First, in case anyone looks up the thread, the Claris Specialized takes a 68 X 113mm Octalink BB.

Second, Cheap Bottom Bracket removal tools aren't as good as you'd like them to be. I had to sand the paint off to get enough purchase to remove the drive-side.

Third, I can replace bottom brackets although it wasn't as simple as it looked on you tube - it is all OK now.

Fourth, I have cocked up my indexing and it is going to take some tweaking to get it right again.

Fifth, the clicking wasn't the bottom bracket! :-(

OP
OP
J

JohnHughes307

Über Member
Not yet, no. But you're right - I am much better equipped now in knowledge, tools and parts :-)

Top Bottom