Specialized Allez Problems!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

Just got a couple of problems with my new Allez, im a beginner so please go easy on me! when i am riding the bike is not allowing me to go down to 1st gear i.e onto the smaller cog at the front. Also the chain sounds really quite loud for a new bike, i think there may be a problem with the front and rear derailleur. It sounds like the chain is scraping against the front derailleur and on the bike it sounds like its crunching some of the chains. It still rides fine, I know i should just take it back to the bike shop but may be a good way of learning a thing or two but if needs be i will.

Thanks in advance

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Your derailleurs need fine tuning.
You Tube is your friend for these matters, there are a whole heap of useful 'walk through' videos.

oliglynn

Über Member
How far have you ridden it so far?
New shifter cables stretch a bit over time, so adjustment is required to keep it shifting smoothly. Many bike shops will offer you a free service within 3 months or so and re-adjust them for you.

cheers for all the replies, I have been on youtube and have corrected it for the time being the chain is still a little loud but like you say after 3 months it will be going in for a service, I have only riden it for about 20 miles?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If you turn the bike upside down you can see how the upper jockey wheel aligns the chain with the sprockets.

When the chain is not presented directly over the sprocket then it's edges can rub against the sprockets on either side causing noise.

Just use the adjuster to centralise the chain and you should reduce the noise.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need to wait 3 months? Take it back to the shop now if not happy. Can't have cable issues after 20 miles! Normally, they say 6 weeks or 100-200 miles for new bike issues to appear. Not from the off :smile:

oliglynn

Über Member
If you got it set up better and the chain is not rubbing on the derailleur any more it could be dirt / lack of lube.
The chain can make noise if it's got dirty & the lube has washed off. With 20 miles use, this would only have happened if you rode it in the wet. If so, clean and re-lube your chain and that should quieten things down a bit.

Top Bottom