Specialized Crosstrail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So went into my LBS and told him about my commute route.

Really the only bike he recommended was the Specialized Crosstrail. I went for the Expert model (one down from the top of the range) at £750.

It looks pretty good. The tyres are interesting. The middle part is slick, so should be good for roads, but it also has small knobbles as it curves up towards the sidewall.

What do you all think?

If I get it, it will be through the cycle to work scheme, so I'll save about 35% of the cost as it comes out pre income tax.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got the £450 Sport, very pleased with it - does everything I need, could be lighter, but I have another lighter bike for just roads. Not sure how the posh one you are getting compares weight wise with the one I have.

I think you are local to me, did you go to Pearsons in Sutton?

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've just bought a Crosstrail Pro as well. I really like it, except I got a puncture on my first ride on it.

Martin

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
benb said:
So went into my LBS and told him about my commute route.

Really the only bike he recommended was the Specialized Crosstrail. I went for the Expert model (one down from the top of the range) at £750.

It looks pretty good. The tyres are interesting. The middle part is slick, so should be good for roads, but it also has small knobbles as it curves up towards the sidewall.

What do you all think?

If I get it, it will be through the cycle to work scheme, so I'll save about 35% of the cost as it comes out pre income tax.

So what is your commute route like? It is hard to say if you have been given good advice if we don't know what you intend to use it for :biggrin:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
vickster said:
I've got the £450 Sport, very pleased with it - does everything I need, could be lighter, but I have another lighter bike for just roads. Not sure how the posh one you are getting compares weight wise with the one I have.

I think you are local to me, did you go to Pearsons in Sutton?

No, Fudges in Epsom

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
HJ said:
So what is your commute route like? It is hard to say if you have been given good advice if we don't know what you intend to use it for :tongue:

Fair enough.

It's a combination of roads and cycle paths, plus one section on rough gravel and hard dirt through a park.

Norm

benb said:
It's a combination of roads and cycle paths, plus one section on rough gravel and hard dirt through a park.
Excellent. As I said, then, it's a fantastic bike. :tongue:

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Also, my current bike is a Specialized Hardrock. I can't decide whether to sell it, or hang onto it as a spare.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
benb said:
Fair enough.

So there is really no need for front suspension, just about any hybrid with normal will do. The disadvantage of front suspension is that it adds weight to the bike, normal forks cost less so you get better components for a bike in the same price range, and the is not cost in servicing normal forks. I wouldn't bother with front suspension, if I were you.

vickster

Legendary Member
I went for the Crosstrail as I wanted a hybrid with the nice chunky tyres (45mm) with the smooth centres and there was no other bike with these but without the suspension. I looked at a lot of bikes. I was quite tempted by the Marin Larkspur (around £400), reasonably chunky tyres but no suspension and lighter (I liked the Marin bikes, not sure what they do in the higher price range). I simply decided it was too similar to my Trek 7.3. I wanted the more solid bike after a nasty crash caused by losing an edge going back onto a bike path from some rough stuff having avoided a pedestrian ;) (knee injury, surgery, still not right). A confidence thing for me ultimately.

There are some other good hybrids out there which are a bit more rugged - the problem is, the ones over £500 tend to be more directed towards roads and speed and less light off-roading.

Which park are you going through, if Nonsuch IMO you really don't need a Crosstrail (I ride through it most days)

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
HJ said:
So there is really no need for front suspension, just about any hybrid with normal will do. The disadvantage of front suspension is that it adds weight to the bike, normal forks cost less so you get better components for a bike in the same price range, and the is not cost in servicing normal forks. I wouldn't bother with front suspension, if I were you.

Yeah, if I was only ever going to commute I would agree. But I'll want to use it on other rides that might need it.
It has the locking thing, so if you're on a road you can lock the suspension in place.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
vickster said:
... Which park are you going through, if Nonsuch IMO you really don't need a Crosstrail (I ride through it most days)

Yes, Nonsuch. Look, I know I'm overequipping, but I really want it!! :tongue:
I will use it for other rides too.

vickster

Legendary Member
It depends whether you are looking for top speed on roads (which are c*** and pothole ridden between Epsom and Sutton anyhow, I ride them myself) or the ability to go a bit more off road, even just along grass.

I would say get the Crosstrail, not sure what the issue is - don't listen to the lycra road bike boys :rofl: It'll save you like a minute anyhow!

Keep the MTB for proper off roading and in case of puncture etc :biggrin: Always good to have a spare

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Having ridden a my hybrid with 28mm Conti GatorSkins along forest tracks on the south side Loch Venachar, I can say from experience that you don't need front suspension.

It is odd how people seem to think that you need front suspension if you venture more then 1 cm off tarmac, you don't get suspension forks on cyclo-cross bikes, far to heavy and no advantage. Let face it most mountain bike never see real rough stuff, people buy them for the image, just like 4X4s. :blush:

Top Bottom