Specialized Epic Expert Carbon 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
BB8C065F-3733-429E-A919-595BA0086E27.jpeg B92D5BB0-673F-4CE8-99D5-AD9381BAD570.jpeg 5B5F5900-7BB6-451A-AB99-B94C560102B2.jpeg AE8D6F2C-238C-48CA-837C-6BBD8F104B74.jpeg D6E54CC0-A4FE-40DE-9D8F-31D86C5739E5.jpeg 29264027-7ACD-424D-A4FF-95C52DAFF2B6.jpeg 17A5338A-2048-43D3-A2D3-E32389BCF8D7.jpeg 145F97BE-3B02-4541-80EC-C34760995C3C.jpeg E94B83C5-A630-453C-BC3D-05156A95F590.jpeg 93762A32-3E69-4F1C-9CDD-0D22F54A25EE.jpeg My friend has recently split up with his wife and I am looking after his mountain bike which he is now wanting to sell.
The bike is available to pick up from near Tadcaster, North Yorkshire, sorry no postage available.

2009 Model Specialized Epic Expert FSR Carbon. Size M, 17”.
Frame - Fact 9m Carbon/M5 Alloy rear triangle.
Fork - RockShox Sid Race 100mm Travel .
Rear Shock - Specialized Mini Brain 100mm Travel.
Brakes - Avid Elixir R Carbon levers.
Wheels - 26” DT Swiss X420SL.
Bars - Race Face Diabolus.
Rear Derailleur - SRAM X0 9 Speed.
Front Derailleur - Shimano SLX.
Shifters - SRAM X9.
Tyres - Maxxis High Roller (front) Maxxis Minion (back).
Saddle - Charge Spoon.

The Fork was serviced by Cycle Technology Wakefield in January.
Both front and rear wheel bearings were replaced this year together with brake pads all round.
The bike is in good condition, it is clean but could be better, the frame does have several chips which I’ve photographed. The original RRP was around £2800!

I own a 2010 Epic with the alloy frame and can confirm that the Epic is a fantastic cross country mountain bike, this one is quite a bit lighter than mine and has a slightly better spec.
The bike is available for viewing and if you have any questions please ask away.

Asking £595.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Price drop to £550.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
My friends bike hasn’t sold yet, is it overpriced or does nobody want 26” wheeled MTB’s?
Be as blunt as you like it’s not mine, he doesn’t want to lower the price and it’s still stuck in my garage with his eMTB!

Last edited:

Steve T

Veteran
My view is that I am always a bit nervous about a carbon MTB as opposed to other materials in case it has had some kind of impact damage that you might only find out about after the event - this is not to say anything about your honesty or the bike itself by the way. I am sure someone more knowledgeable about carbon then me would disagree but its my gut feeling.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's a ten year old bike, and neither a classic nor a most wanted. I think he's expecting too much for it after all this time. It has sentimental value for him but none for another buyer. There are thousands of mountain bikes out there for sale right now, many cheaper, and just as capable off road.

Levo-Lon

Guru
That allows fine tuning of the bump response / damping from memory. a friend did have one, and they are a good bike off road.

Called the brain.

I quite like it on my Specialized epic 2019 model.

Still think a remote for it would be a plus.

As said bit to much. Sadly you get fook all for them he might get 300-350

broady

Veteran
When it was listed I thought it was well over priced and as said above, your not going to get a following for it as it wasn't a highly desired bike 10 years ago.
Think you need to start charging rent for them being in your garage or it'll still be there in 10 years time

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Thank you for all your honest feedback. I’ve just been speaking to the owner, he thinks if it’s only worth £300-350 he’d rather just keep it (in my garage!). He’s now Pretty sure he wants to sell his eMTB so is popping round on Sunday to discuss with a possibility of taking some pictures and listing on here. If anyone is interested I’ll post more info later but for now I know It is a Full suspension Trek Powerfly 5, size M, he bought it new earlier this year and it is in immaculate condition. I think he paid £3,300 from JE James? And is wanting £2000.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thank you for all your honest feedback. I’ve just been speaking to the owner, he thinks if it’s only worth £300-350 he’d rather just keep it (in my garage!). He’s now Pretty sure he wants to sell his eMTB so is popping round on Sunday to discuss with a possibility of taking some pictures and listing on here. If anyone is interested I’ll post more info later but for now I know It is a Full suspension Trek Powerfly 5, size M, he bought it new earlier this year and it is in immaculate condition. I think he paid £3,300 from JE James? And is wanting £2000.

The Trek ebike is currently on sale for about £2,500.

Decent hardtail, and it has the latest Powertube battery which has a more integrated look.

I suppose one of the discounters with stock would probably take £2.250.

Asking £2,000 for the second hand bike is not totally out of the way, but I expect you might get offers closer to £1,750.

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Trek ebike is currently on sale for about £2,500.

Decent hardtail, and it has the latest Powertube battery which has a more integrated look.

I suppose one of the discounters with stock would probably take £2.250.

Asking £2,000 for the second hand bike is not totally out of the way, but I expect you might get offers closer to £1,750.
It isn’t the £2500 hardtail model, It is the full suspension bike (below) and has the latest powertube battery, after a bit of discount he paid £3,300, the £2000 he wants seems about right, I bet he hasn’t done 250 miles on it, and it’s only ever been on tracks, cycle paths and through the odd field so no rough stuff whatsoever. As @vickster mentioned I think there may be more interest on eBay as Electric bikes seem to sell really well there but I’ll try it on here first and see how it goes.
https://www.jejamescycles.com/trek-powerfly-fs-5-e-bike-2020.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom