Specialized or Ridgeback Hybrid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4pennyCheese

I am undecided between
Specialized Vita Disc 2017 Women's Hybrid and
Ridgeback Velocity (with Disc brakes) 2017
They are both roughly the same price.
I have yet to try the Specialized but have ordered it for a test ride on Monday.
I had a test ride on the Ridgeback and liked it, although I had to move the seat right back.
I am sort of wedded to Specialized as my last two bikes have been Specialized and I have been very happy with them, I am just concerned that the Ridgeback seems to have slightly better components - but Specialized have never let me down!
The Ridgeback is a unisex bike and I have never had a woman's bike before. I'm not convinced about the long leg / shorter torso theory.
Can anyone convince me that I should get one over the other? I am genuinely torn.
I'm using it to replace a hybrid that I used with a backrack to carry shopping, camping gear and touring up to 30-40 miles a day, sometimes off road on tracks. I want reliability, a comfy ride with gears to take me up steepish hills and an ability to carry stuff.
Thanks for your help!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its always a good idea, and protocol, on here to post a link so people can nail the precise model.

The only real difference, apart from the geometry, is one has mechanical disc brakes and other hydraulic. I have a Specialized with the former and they are great.

I think the only way to decide is ride them.

If you are going to carrying stuff make sure it has mounting points for the racks you might use.

OP
OP
4pennyCheese

4pennyCheese

Thanks, good advice.
Looking forward to testing the Specialized whilst trying to remember what the Ridgeback was like. I agree that the fit is probably the most important thing.
Any other tips gratefully received.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm a big Ridgeback fan but more of the steel framed bikes which are fantastic, not so sure about their (cheaper) Aluminium ones but they're a quality company.

vickster

Legendary Member
If the seat was pushed right back on the Ridgback was it the right size?

If you are taller especially, you could also look at the Specialized Sirrus equivalent to compare specs to the Vita (sometimes 'lesser' components can be used on a WSD model at the same price point (due to supply and demand, number of units sold blah blah) :smile: That said, definitely buy based on comfort, ride and feel as opposed purely to on the perceived spec (ditto for the Ridgeback versus the Specialized).

To add a few more options, also have a look at the Trek 7.x range and also Whyte R7's range of disc braked fast hybrids :smile:

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/search_results.php?searchwords=whyte+commuter

OP
OP
4pennyCheese

4pennyCheese

I've gone with the Ridgeback.
I tried the Specialized and the fit was a little cramped for my liking. I also tried a more expensive Ridgeback and for probably the first time in my life preferred the cheaper version.
The bike shop, Apple Cycles, St Anne's, Lancs were fantastic. I've changed the seat for a womens, upgraded the pedals so I can use cleats if I wish and added a back rack.
In Apple Cyckes, nothing was too much trouble, I had several test rides and Matt's knowledge of bikes and his stock was impressive. Very excited to be picking it up tomorrow. Thanks for the advice about fit and feel, that's what ultimately made up my mind.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Good for you. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Don't forget to post a pic when you get it.

Top Bottom