1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Specialized Roubaix Caliper Drop?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by cosmicbike, 13 Sep 2017.

1. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One.....

I'm looking to replace the standard Axis 1.0 calipers on my Roubaix with a set of 105 5700 calipers, but they seem not to have a long enough drop.
    Do I need to use something different? I think Shimano do long drop calipers but since you could buy the Roubaix with 105 kit wondered if they did a specific 105 long drop?

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

I have these on my Genesis. They work very well

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-ultegra-r650-road-brake-caliper/rp-prod27807

cosmicbike likes this.
  3. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

I have a Roubaix, and am curious as to why you are planning this modification.

4. Spiderweb

Spiderweb Über Member

I would have thought the 105 calipers you mentioned would fit fine?
    I don't think the Axis 1.0 are long drop?
    If not the long drop Shimano R650 as @vickster mentioned are excellent, I have a pair on my Hewitt.

5. OP
    OP
    cosmicbike

The 105 calipers are 'only' 47mm drop, whereas the Axis 1.0 are 52mm. I tried the 105's and they are not long enough..

6. OP
    OP
    cosmicbike

Just a little update. I was cleaning the Roubaix this afternoon (it's my wet/winter bike so a bit mucky of late), and just thought I'd try the 105 calipers again. Lo and behold they went on with no issues, aside from having to adjust the little screw on the side to make things work better. The front pads had a couple of mm drop left in them, the rear were as far 'dropped' as possible.
    Looking forward to some proper stopping power now.

Spiderweb likes this.