Specialized Roubaix Elite 09

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you are riding mostly alone and in hilly areas, why not go for a triple? However bear in mind that you wll need new shifters and derailleur, possibly both derailleurs. I solved the problem by fitting a smaller inner gear and a wider range casstte, which gets me up most hills around here. However the gap between big and small rings is now bigger than just one cog on the rear wheel, if you see what I mean, so it can be a pain when tackling a hill.

There's been a lot of correspondence on here about this recently. Others better qualified than me will be along soon but after reading it all with interest (having been in the same position as you) my impression is that if you are a serious roadie and you plan to ride in a club, a double is bad if you fit a very small inner ring forcing you to drop your speed suddenly when changing down, which will make you unpopular. A few months ago somebody wrote on here (Bonj?) that MTB gears have no place on a road bike as they take away the subtlety and finesse of road riding, which I guess would mean having the strength and willpower to blast up hills in a biggish gear!

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm far from being a full on roadie, being more a long distance type. And yes in Kent where I live is quite hilly so would want a triple for that little extra. Will ask the bike shop about the possibility of swapping cranksets and if it would necessitate a change of other components.

There is a triple version of the Elite, but as far as I can see only available in the US.
Oh well back to the LBS with more questions

Adding a bit to this, I would have appreciated my little ring on Saturday Ian - the slope was an absolute mare, as Davyw and MacB will testify. I did it in a 42 x 23 but had nowhere else to go...I was on my 'commuter'. (Which has a triple but never use it and, consequently, finding a need meant discovering I couldn't change down. :biggrin:) A B.A.S.T...you know the rest. Check out Vernon's Flying Gate for a 'granny to rear cog ratio'!

And, you're not getting any younger...:angry: :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
I have the triple, but have rarely used the small cog to date. I suspect it may get some use soon though when I venture out of Essex.

Shaun

Founder
ianrauk said:
would I be a heathen wanting to change the double crankset to a triple?

Just do what suits you. :biggrin:

I was used to the triple on my Sirrus and wondered myself whether it would be radically different, but didn't find it too much of a move to the double on my Roubaix.

Of course I live in Hull, which is flat as a pancake, so you'll need to go based on your personal preference and terrain.

There have been very odd occasions when I've wondered if my legs/lungs could have done with a triple, but most of the time it's not an issue (and it may be more the rider than the bike that's the issue! :tongue:).

The bike - fantastic. I call it my Rolls-Royce bike. It's smooth, responsive, fast, and above all, comfortable. I don't have any other expensive bike experience from either Spesh or any other manufacturer, so I've got nothing to compare it to, however I'm a very happy customer and always look forward to a ride on my posh bike.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
Admin said:
Just do what suits you. :biggrin:

I was used to the triple on my Sirrus and wondered myself whether it would be radically different, but didn't find it too much of a move to the double on my Roubaix.

Of course I live in Hull, which is flat as a pancake, so you'll need to go based on your personal preference and terrain.

There have been very odd occasions when I've wondered if my legs/lungs could have done with a triple, but most of the time it's not an issue (and it may be more the rider than the bike that's the issue! :tongue:).

The bike - fantastic. I call it my Rolls-Royce bike. It's smooth, responsive, fast, and above all, comfortable. I don't have any other expensive bike experience from either Spesh or any other manufacturer, so I've got nothing to compare it to, however I'm a very happy customer and always look forward to a ride on my posh bike.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

So you only use it when venturing through Beverley then? :biggrin:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers all for your help good people.
I am just trying to convince myself that I have the abilty to ride a compact double over them there hills. Which I know I do.
I forget that I ride a double on my commute bike with an 11-25 cassette and a 50-34 chain ring. The Elite has an 11-27 with a 50-34.

Now what would Bonj say if I said I want MTB spd's on there instead of road pedals?
(All my other bikes have mtb spd)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just been through all this as well! Have a look at my posts in the the kit section; the usual Shimano MTB shoes and cleats setup is fearfully heavy but there's not much around that's lighter in weight and equally comfortable.

(I now have 11-27 cassette and 50/34 on my Roubaix, which is okay for the hills around here.)

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep I know mate, just that I can't be arsed to change to road spd's.
And I could try get the LBS to throw in some nice new XTR peds.

Rigid Raider said:
Just been through all this as well! Have a look at my posts in the the kit section; the usual Shimano MTB shoes and cleats setup is fearfully heavy but there's not much around that's lighter in weight and equally comfortable.

(I now have 11-27 cassette and 50/34 on my Roubaix, which is okay for the hills around here.)

OK - another example. My F-I-L has a compact 50/34 on his Orca and had previously used a triple on the Colnago...he can still work the gear combinations to get him up the same steep hills as he used to climb with the granny ring employed - just misses the 53 for a blast downhill!

He's seventy four so you should be able to manage. Worst comes to worst - change it later...just stick to Auntie's flat rides.;)

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No mate, same price in my LBS

User76 said:
Have you found one at any kind of discounted price? I am after one of these, and all dealers seem to have the same price, £1467 and some pence.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ian

I think you would be okay with a compact - the cassette has a shorter gear than mine (13-26) and you KNOW that I ain't exactly designed for hills :biggrin:
Besides, I don't know about putting a triple on to it... the BB spindle might not be long enough?

Go on get it - you know you want to!

Shaun

Founder
ianrauk said:
Now what would Bonj say if I said I want MTB spd's on there instead of road pedals?
(All my other bikes have mtb spd)

Erm, well, I've got £25 pedals on my two grand carbon bike and pootle around on it in Spesh MTB shoes ... so, I shouldn't worry too much.

Besides, you wouldn't want more than one pair of cycling shoes - that'd be like having more than one bike - no one does that do they? :biggrin:

Top Bottom