Specialized Roubaix or ally bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Evans are selling the specialized Roubaix for under £1k it has Sora running gear, in your honest opinions is it wirth buying and upgrading the components as they wear or buying a aluminium bike for the same money with better running gear

Thanks for your advice in advance

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
One of my bikes is a Roubaix SL4.
The frame is very comfortable for long sportive type rides and it soaks up the road conditions brilliantly.
I did change the entire groupset on mine, quite early on, as the Sora groupset was clunky and the spacing between some of the gears was too much.
IMHO it is worth the price just for the frame. But others here will tell you different....opinions and all that.

jack smith

Veteran
GET THE ROUBAIX!! You wont regret it very comftorable and its a specialized.. So you cant go wrong, remember you can get new shimano 105 5800 11 speed for £300 you could get £12-150 for the sora if you take it off

DRHysted

Guru
I am biased. I Bought the Roubaix SL4 disc in January which came with Sora gears. Personally I love the frame, it's compliance on our rubbish roads & it's slightly more upright position. Sora really lets it down, but the money went into the frame. So when I could afford it I upgraded the groupset.

mustang1

Guru
While it seems like good value for money, for ME I prefer to buy something better equipped because I don't like going through the time of changing group sets, selling, getting new one installed (I would pay someone to do that) so not as worth it for me.

For you however and other posters, I think it's not bad at all and like others mentioned the Roubaix frame is rather nicely compliant.

Oldbloke

Guru
As others are saying, get the Roubaix, upgrade to 105 and sell the Sora kit.

You won't regret it! The difference in ride quality when I went from an alloy bike to my first Roubaix was a revelation.

gmw492

Veteran
Glad I found this thread,I'm viewing a Roubaix Sl4 this week and I had this dilemma for a few weeks,I finally thought well I can upgrade to 105 as previous posts do say,if I purchase it I will see how long I can do on the sora,any suggestions on what 105 ratio to get and what about ultegra if I get it in the sales,sounds strange as I have not even bought the bike but I'm thinking that an upgrade would be an option worthwhile in the future

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Glad I found this thread,I'm viewing a Roubaix Sl4 this week and I had this dilemma for a few weeks,I finally thought well I can upgrade to 105 as previous posts do say,if I purchase it I will see how long I can do on the sora,any suggestions on what 105 ratio to get and what about ultegra if I get it in the sales,sounds strange as I have not even bought the bike but I'm thinking that an upgrade would be an option worthwhile in the future
No one can answer your q about what gears to get without knowing a lot more about you.

If you live in a hilly area and arent the strongest climber you may want a 28 or 30 tooth cog on your cassette with a compact chain set.
If you ride the flatlands or are a strong climber then a 25 or 23 tooth cog would be more appropriate.

I like a nice big cog to fall back on when finding a climb when legs are tired.

Onyer

The 11sp 105 (5800) is nearly as good as the Ultegra. I have Ultegra 6800 on my Roubaix (ugraded from the old 105/tiagra mix sold with the bike) and 105 5800 on another bike. The 105 is crisp and smooth and very quiet when shifting so very similar to the Ultegra. Brakes are maybe not quite as good but that could just be me. I went for the 52/36 chainset and 11-32 cassette, which I find to be the best combination. Low enough for my old knees to get up the steepest hill and high enough to get a good speed downhill or on the flat.

Top Bottom