Specialized Roubaix tyres and wheels upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
After some advice. I'm riding a Specialized Roubaix , I'm fairly new to the scene and I'd like to ask will I notice much difference upgrading Tryes or Wheels onto my bike?

If I am going to notice , can you recommend Tyres or Wheels that would make my ride better?

Not wanting to spend a fortune , and know obviously you get what you pay for , but am grateful for some views and what would work well for my bike and me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Define 'better'? What are you looking for from an upgrade?

What tyres are on there at the moment? Make, model, width?

Are you looking for performance or puncture resistance, where are you prepared to trade off

There's probably no point changing the wheels unless you have a problem with current and/or significant budget

Change the tyres esp if having punctures, don't expect performance miracles. You'll see more improvement by riding more and getting fitter

A Roubaix is a bike for long days in the saddle more than racing. That comfort might be enhanced by a wider tyre.

What are you looking to the bike to do better?

gbb

Legendary Member
What tyres are currently fitted Fonze ?

Here's a simplistic observation I made some years ago.
Bianchi with factory wheels, my say 50 milers were all achieved with very very similar times (I used to be quite meticulous about speeds/times etc) I changed them eventually to slightly better wheels, Fulcrum 5s, just because I wanted to no reason other than that. My times never changed that I noticed. It felt different, better, but I couldn't quantify it so it's a very subjective thing.

Tyres...probably the cheaper and better option but it depends on what you're running now.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

Mine are turbo gripton tires.
The thread is about asking peoples opinions as to wether upgrading tyres or wheels is worthwhile ?
Better, I suppose I mean improved riding ?
I'm a novice as stated, and I'm trying to understand how to improve.
I ride daily, around 2.5 hours daily one day off.
I have no intention of race riding, I'm in it simply for fun, and yes my bike is designed for comfort riding.

MikeG

Guru
You won't be calling yourself a novice long if you're riding 2-1/2 hours every day! :smile:

I too have a Roubaix. You may not know just how good a bike you've got yourself there. Great bit of kit.

OP
OP
Fonze

Fonze

Where do you ride Mike ? I see you are from Suffolk ..
I go along coast road through Lowestoft, and around Somerleyton, some lovely country lanes.

vickster

Legendary Member
What do you mean by improved riding?

How much would you spend? £100-200 probably not worth it if wanting a subjective performance increase. £300-500 probably see some benefit

ChangI guess the tyres to something like a Continental 4000 may make the bike seem faster but you may see more punctures with a more 'racy' tyre

Never heard of the tyres you mention?

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Never heard of the tyres you mention?

I'm glad you said that! :smile: I didn't want to show my ignorance. Could they maybe for use on a turbo, given the name?

Specialized branded tyres.My Roubaix came with the Turbo pros.

Top Bottom