Specialized S-Works Turbo 24c...Phenomenal!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Fitted a pair of these to my Bianchi yesterday. Trial run during peloton training tonight.

Tyres felt grippy just fitting them. Peloton training is on a flat road, between 3 roundabouts. Threw the bike into roundabouts faster than ever before. Sometimes freewheeling, sometimes pedalling harder. Sometimes in lower gear, to drift out. Each time I was amazed at the grip!

Comfort is very good, even at 110psi. Gone with the usual Conti Race 28 tubes, but most people use Latex for these I think.

Can't wait to try these on some hills and on descents too!

Definitely recommended so far, but will post up more as I use them. Overall mileage may suffer, but can live with that.

Citius

What tyres did you have before?

adscrim

Veteran
I think I saw something about a Specialized tyre amnesty where a registered dealing will knock £30 off a pair of these if you bring in your old tyres.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
What tyres did you have before?

I have Conti GP4000S' on my Defy, but had Hutchinson Equinox 3's that came with my Bianchi. Have swapped them between both bikes, so hasn't realised how poor the Hutchinson were. Cheap tyres, so what can you expect?

The S-Works feel a fair bit gripper than even the Conti's mind you, albeit with less of dramatic difference.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I think I saw something about a Specialized tyre amnesty where a registered dealing will knock £30 off a pair of these if you bring in your old tyres.
I saw that, but not all dealers are participating, despite what Specialized's website suggests. Dealers have to buy in 100 tyres to join in it seems.

I got mine online for £25 each anyway. No postage and no trade in required!

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
The great thing with GP4000s is that they are durable, and quite puncture resistant. What are people's long term experiences with the Specialized tyres?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I totally agree on the GP4000S durability. They are a Race tyre, technically, but I have used them all year round with no issues.

I just fancied a change on the best bike or would have bought more of the same.

Durability on these is not going to compete with the Conti's, but don't know quite how much less it will be yet.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Went out for a faster ride yesterday. Tyres were amazing once again. Loads of grip and very fast rolling!

Nebulous

Guru
Is that deal still live in regards to trading in a set of tires at any specialized branch and getting the turbo's at a reduced price. Saw it last week on the specailized site but thought I was too late.

I got an email from Edinburgh bike in the last few days, saying it runs until May. You only need to hand in one tyre to qualify. I intend to give it a go for my spare 'best' wheels.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I have 2 sets of these in the Tour of Britain Limited Editions (only difference being a Union Flag on the side wall I think).

Not tested yet as I have loads of life still in my Schwalbe Utremo's.

Glad you like 'em @bpsmith , I think it was me who suggested them to you ?

Anyway, I also paid £50 a pair with no trade in, so quite chuffed really.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I have 2 sets of these in the Tour of Britain Limited Editions (only difference being a Union Flag on the side wall I think).

Not tested yet as I have loads of life still in my Schwalbe Utremo's.

Glad you like 'em @bpsmith , I think it was me who suggested them to you ?

Anyway, I also paid £50 a pair with no trade in, so quite chuffed really.
Indeed it was, so cheers for that! Good to see you got a bargain too. :smile:

I look for the special editions, but nowhere at that price. A British flag might look out of place on a Bianchi though I guess?

No more out of place than its Ultegra groupset, some may suggest! Lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom