Specialized Secteur Sport 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaw85

I feel really stupid asking this question, but how do you change gear on a Specialized Secteur Sport 2010? I can press the gear lever down to change down the gears but I can't work out how to go up through the gears. The bike was an insurance replacement and got delivered straight to my door so I can't even go back to a bike shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

potsy

Rambler
I feel really stupid asking this question, but how do you change gear on a Specialized Secteur Sport 2010? I can press the gear lever down to change down the gears but I can't work out how to go up through the gears. The bike was an insurance replacement and got delivered straight to my door so I can't even go back to a bike shop.

Thanks

Little thumb switch to go up the (rear) gears,no stupid questions on here
whistling.gif

martint235

Dog on a bike

Thanks

I'm a bit confused as to which way you're referring to when you use "up" and "down". If you're referring to moving onto larger sprockets or chainrings, you push the brake lever towards the centre of the handle bars so for the sprockets push the right hand brake lever to the left.

As Potsy says, there are no stupid questions. It took me ages to figure it out on my own when I first got a road bike. :whistle:

MARKE020272

On the left hand (front gears) use thumb to go down the gears from high to low, and push the brake lever to the right to change up the gears from low to high.

On the right hand (rear gears) use thumb to go up the gears from high to low, and push the brake lever to the left to change down the gears from low to high.

Hope it helps.

Norry1

Legendary Member
On the left hand (front gears) use thumb to go down the gears from high to low, and push the brake lever to the right to change up the gears from low to high.

On the right hand (rear gears) use thumb to go up the gears from high to low, and push the brake lever to the left to change down the gears from low to high.

Hope it helps.

I had to ask when I got my Secteur.

This is great for changing gear when your hands are on the hoods - but can you pull the brakes from this position?

Martin

martint235

Dog on a bike
I had to ask when I got my Secteur.

This is great for changing gear when your hands are on the hoods - but can you pull the brakes from this position?

Martin

Yep, as Norm says no problem. I spend 90% of my time with my hands on the hoods. I use the tops for climbing hills and very rarely use the drops at all. I probably put my hands on the drops about once every 3 months, just to remind myself how uncomfortable a position that is for me.

potsy

Rambler
I have found getting enough purchase on the brakes a bit of a problem at times,comes with having small hands for me.If you're used to flat-bar/mtb braking then it does feel strange.
My riding style is similar to big martins,90% on hoods,rest of time on top or very occasionally on the drops,only a few minutes at a time though.

OP
OP
S

Shaw85

Ha Ha,

So I have to push the brake levers - that is definately a new one for me. My previous bike was a mountain bike and the gear levers moved both ways so I just expected this one to work the same way. I'm also struggling to get used to how to brake as the brakes aren't where I expect them to be. I suppose I will get used to it the more miles I do.

Many thanks for your replies - can't wait to try it out tonight.

Cheers

Hope it helps.

Norm

So I have to push the brake levers - that is definately a new one for me.
Pushing the brake levers is the way indeed - it caught me out too, but then I was looking for friction shifters on the down tube. :laugh:

There's some peculiarities of the Sora set up which might help in advance too.

On the front ring (left hand) you will possibly need two pushes of the thumb switch to move to a smaller ring, but you should find you can move to the larger ring with just one inwards sweep of the lever.

On the back ring (right hand), the thumb switch will move one gear for each click but a full sweep of the brake lever can do two or three gears.

This stuff is useful when you know it's there (it's often good to go down several in one go on the rear cog) but, it can catch you out - especially needing two clicks to move to a smaller ring on the front.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom