Specialized Sirrus 3.0 vs Whyte Stirling V3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sandyrosh

Hi there,

I'm in market for a new hybrid bike, shortlisted Sirrus 3.0 and Stirling v3 (after considering Giant Escape 2/1 Disc).
I've got a mountain bike (Trek Marlin 7) which I intend to keep. This bike would be mostly used for riding on the roads (around 40kms/23 miles trips on a weekend) and occasional sportive events like Beyond Yorkshire Sportive. I don't like drop handlebars and hence I didn't consider purposefully built road bikes. I'm 5' 6, so would go either Stirling size Medium or Sirrus 3.0 size Small.

on side note, I couldn't find much reviews about Stirling online, not sure why 🤷‍♂️

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Cheers
Sandeep

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Maybe because Whyte is not a mainstream brand. If you tell someone you've got a Whyte they might look at you in a quizzical sort of way. But mention Specialized and everyone will nod and might mention their own experience with them.
It's a shame as lesser know brands usually offer better value. The big names charge a premium.
So I'm guessing the Whyte might be the better buy.

Edit: Having said that after looking a bit more closely at the specs the Whyte doesn’t appear to offer anything extra for the £175 more at RRP except for slightly better tyres. It does have a now fashionable 1x drive train rather than the more traditional double front chainring on the Sirius which will give more ratios with less gaps than the 1x set up.
The Stirling has wider tyres so the ride on the Sirius with 32c rubber might feel a bit more sprightly. Every else being equal the Sirius offers better VfM unless you can find deals on the Stirling.

Last edited:

Sloth

In my searching, it seems that Specialized offer far less VFM, if you place little to no extra value on their ‘Future Shock’ front stem suspension. Because that’s what you’re paying for.
Everything else, especially the gear set is low spec until you get to the significantly more expensive (than the Whyte) variants.
Regarding the Stirling, Whyte also do the ‘Pimlico’ which although incorrectly labelled as a ‘woman’s bike’ by some retailers (but not by Whyte), is simply a more compact version of the Stirling, identical in every way other than some of the geometry.
This may be a better option for you at 5’7”.
I am 5’8” and am also considering the Pimlico.
Interestingly though, the Whytes do seem to favour a longer wheelbase than most others. Do the comparisons on 99 Spokes, it does give you an ‘at a glance’ view of the different specs and geometry.

vickster

Legendary Member
Interestingly though, the Whytes do seem to favour a longer wheelbase than most others. Do the comparisons on 99 Spokes, it does give you an ‘at a glance’ view of the different specs and geometry.

I believe this is because Whyte are more oriented towards MTB type geometry for their more road type bikes, which is where they originated

T4tomo

Guru
Maybe because Whyte is not a mainstream brand. If you tell someone you've got a Whyte they might look at you in a quizzical sort of way. But mention Specialized and everyone will nod and might mention their own experience with them.
It's a shame as lesser know brands usually offer better value. The big names charge a premium.
So I'm guessing the Whyte might be the better buy.

Edit: Having said that after looking a bit more closely at the specs the Whyte doesn’t appear to offer anything extra for the £175 more at RRP except for slightly better tyres. It does have a now fashionable 1x drive train rather than the more traditional double front chainring on the Sirius which will give more ratios with less gaps than the 1x set up.
The Stirling has wider tyres so the ride on the Sirius with 32c rubber might feel a bit more sprightly. Every else being equal the Sirius offers better VfM unless you can find deals on the Stirling.

Utter guff (stating at "Edit:") are you for real?:wacko:

The Whyte has better brakes, gear components, wheels/hubs

Sloth

I believe this is because Whyte are more oriented towards MTB type geometry for their more road type bikes, which is where they originated
Yeah, that's their 'heritage' I suppose.
The more I look at them, the more attractive they look.
I love the Matt Midnight Grey/Magenta colour of the Pimlico, more than the Matt Moss Rose/Olive of the Stirling, although that is also quiet nice.
The Whyte's are around 0.5kg heavier than the Giant Fastroad and 1kg heavier than the Speeder but as per your previous response, I doubt I'd notice and it will still be far lighter and more sprightly than the 14-15kg I am used to!

It looks like the Pimlico is still larger (see below taken from 99 Spokes) in some ways than the Giant Fastroad and so I should not be concerned about it being too cramped

For example:
Stack
  • Pimlico (M) 575
  • Stirling (M) 579
  • Fastroad (M) 563
  • Speeder (S/M) 585
  • Speeder (S) 573
Reach
  • Pimlico (M) 404
  • Stirling (M) 424
  • Fastroad (M) 388
  • Speeder (S/M) 398
  • Speeder (S) 392
Stack:Reach Ratio
  • Pimlico (M) 1.42
  • Stirling (M) 1.37
  • Fastroad (M) 1.45
  • Speeder (S/M) 1.47
  • Speeder (S) 1.46
Wheelbase
  • Pimlico (M) 1067.4
  • Stirling (M) 1078.4
  • Fastroad (M) 1020
  • Speeder (S/M) 1057
  • Speeder (S) 1053
Standover Height
  • Pimlico (M) 735.5
  • Stirling (M) 750
  • Fastroad (M) 719
  • Speeder (S/M) 787
  • Speeder (S) 769

So at 5'8" and with an approximate standover height (based on ramming a hardback book into my crotch) of 780mm, average arms and legs, a desire for a morerelaxed posture rather than an aggressive one, and fitness and country lanesrather than fast road riding, do any of the above stand out more than the others as a potential 'good fit' and specifically, will the Pimlico be too compact and cramped or the Stirling a little too long on reach and wheelbase?

Sorry to hi-jack the thread :blush:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah,that's their 'heritage' I suppose.
The more I look at them, the more attractive they look.
I love the matt blue colour of the Pimlico, more than the 'Olive' grey of the Stirling, although that isalso quiet nice.
It's around 0.5kg heavier than the Giant Fastroad and nearluy 1kg heavier than the Speeder but as per your previous response, I doubt I'd notice and it will still be far lighter and more sprightly than the 14-15kg I am used to!

Indeed you won’t notice especially if you go for slicker lighter narrower tyres for the road

stewpot

Über Member
Good timing. I also recently narrowed my new commuter between a choice of these two bikes. A mate of mine has a 2019 Stirling and my local BS stocks the Sirrus. I was already leaning towards the Whyte due to the better specs and the fact that I once met Jon Whyte at a pub in Yorkshire whilst he was testing the PRST-1. At the time he was working for Marin and had designed the 'Rift Zone' I was riding at the time (late 90's).

Anyway, I got the chance to try both models for a decent amount of riding time and the Whyte wins hands down. Apart from the specs being better I like the slightly more stretched out ride position the Stirling offers overthe Sirrus - which is a bit to upright for my liking. The Stirling handles much better as well (thanks to the short stem) and the 51T cassette ring means I've not had any problems with hills. For my commute, which includes a decent stretch of gravel path, and a few kerb hops etc, its ideal

As somebody has already mentioned the Pimlico might be a better option given your height, but its basically a smaller version of Whyte. All in all its just a really solid, dependable bike. Highly recommend it.

Sloth

Thanks, that’s great to hear.
I’m torn between the Pimlico M or L though?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, given the stock situation at the moment, the only way of finding the correct answer is to sit on and try out both sizes. The size guides given by manufacturers are just that - a rough guide. Four of my bikes are the wrong size if you take the manufacturer's suggestions, but the next size up to the recommended one was the one that felt right in use.

Sloth

The L is pushing it with a higher standover (767) as my inside leg is around 780 (max) so I’d really not want much over 750-760.
At 767 I’d only have 13mm clearance which is half of what is commonly recommended.

Gillstay

Über Member
I would check if they can supply spares for the bike first ! Just serviced a Boardman and wanted a few FSA parts and none to be had.

Sloth

Good point, but isn’t that a more general problem right now though, rather than applying any particular make?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Spares are only a problem if you insist on replacing like for like My Giant flatbar needed a new FSA bottom bracket last year, but I found it cheaper to swap to a SRAM one from my stock and source a hardly used SRAM crankset on Ebay.

stewpot

Über Member

I've found the Whyte sizing guide pretty spot on. If I was your height I'd go with the medium Stirling. If you can't try one you'll just have to order online, unpack really carefully and send it back if it doesn't fit. I ordered mine from Winstanleys and they have a medium in stock and a 90 day return policy although you do have a pay return postage. A small price to pay IMO

See here

Top Bottom