Specialized Sirrus - the most stolen bike in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.cycleplan.co.uk/blog/these-uk-cycle-crime-statistics-make-essential-reading-for-cyclists

Cycle-Crime-Full-Graphic-updated-Dec-2015_v2-JPG.jpg

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Insane stats, very insightful. Thanks for sharing

It's just one of many reasons why I stick to more 'obscure' bikes wherever possible. If I've got a Sirrus or Langster parked next to me, the scum tend to go for them.

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

That's just statistical wossname though. It's like saying houses with low numbers are more likely to be burgled senseless.

Tim Hall

It's just one of many reasons why I stick to more 'obscure' bikes wherever possible. If I've got a Sirrus or Langster parked next to me, the scum tend to go for them.
Surely if a particular model of bike is more popular, that bike will feature more in the stats. It doesn't mean having that bike means it's more like to be stolen. Unfortunately the link doesn't say what the distribution of Specialized Sirrus is in the general bike population, compared to the stolen bike population, so it's kind of hard to say.

EDIT: Just seen that the link is from an insurance company. So no vested interest there then.

EDIT: Just seen that the link is from an insurance company. So no vested interest there then.
Data's a mess. The chart at the top of the linked page has different numbers to the one Glen got from further down. And the scale is all over the place. Of course London has a lot more bike thefts than Edinburgh, it's got nearly 20x the population. And then they compare E1 to TW and KT. Surely that should be all of the "E" or just compare with TW1 or KT1. I suspect that's because they get more insurance from the south west of London, so do what they can to inflate the numbers. They don't even bother having the numbers for the rest of the east of London.

The Cathedral City of bikes.

Top Bottom