Specialized Tricross tyre pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

longers said:
If yours are knobblies then they could be Houffalize Noodley, mine were.

I've got them in mind for getting riveted for next winter.

And yes to checking the side of the tyre for the correct pressures.

Certainly look like them longers.

l4dva

Guru
To be honest, id rode my boroughs for at least 1000miles before i changed them, they never punctured once, and haven't worn down at all! In my opinion they are pretty bomb proof, ive never had a problem..... it just so happens al my riding is done on road and the road specific tyres preform better for me... i wont be throwing them out though, they still got plenty winter riding life in then!

Norm

l4dva said:
..... it just so happens al my riding is done on road and the road specific tyres preform better for me...
I was cogitating on this and why it is that I love the Tricross so much when riding earlier, although it would probably apply equally to any other psycho-cross bike.

I think that it's because the bike is not specifically for one thing, it's not built down to a weight, it's not built up to a downhill, it's just a bike that you can do stuff on without being too worried.

I had road bikes when I was in my teens and I had no worries riding them around the farm. They were strong enough to take it, they had tyres that didn't puncture at the first sight of a stone, you just got on and went for a ride.

It appears, to me, that the ethos behind the CX bikes is the same brought up to date. Road bikes are faster on tarmac, MTB's are more comfortable off road, I have both of those but most of my rides, like today, are a mix of roads, paths, pavements and mud tracks, hopping kerbs and riding through decomposing leaves, branches and twigs that have fallen off in the winter, just doing it. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

b0redom

Thanks to all who provided the pressures. I've spotted where it's marked now, and pumped them up and it was much faster.

With regards to tyres as the thread is now diverging off topic rapidly. I use my Tricross exclusivly for commuting, but it's on roads with (a lot of) potholes, and speed bumps which is why I didn't want a road bike. Can anyone recommend any different / better tyres? I'm coming up on 1000 miles, and fancy an upgrade.

ACS

Legendary Member
I use Bontrager hardcase Race Lite - 700x28. Get a lot abuse with our local roads Survived yesterdays Hell Tour of East Lothian audax where a lot of riders p*nct**ed not a problem soaked up the rough staff with ease.

Use Specialized Nimbus Armadillo Tyres 700x28 in the commuter and they are as tough as old boots.

OP
OP
B

b0redom

Is this likely to give me a speed boost? I'm not after superfast, but I can do the 14 mile commute in around 57 mins in light traffic. Shaving off a few more minutes would be good!

Norm

Changing tyres to something road specific (depending on which on your go for) should shave a few minutes (at least) over an hour's journey.

I can't remember the exact numbers (they are posted elsewhere) but I switched from off-road to road tyres on a hybrid and reduced the time on a set 20 minute test route by over 10%. Not exactly the same situation as you are looking at, because the tyres on the Tricross are already pretty good on tarmac, but you're daily run is three times the time of my test run so improved efficiency will have a greater effect.

Check out the (many!) tyre threads on here to help the choice. Some, like the Marathon+, are good for puncture resistance but quite heavy, which will be more noticeable if you are doing a lot of stop/start stuff.

I reckon you could be looking at more than a few minutes saved by switching to dedicated tarmac rubber.

gouldina

Norm said:
I was cogitating on this and why it is that I love the Tricross so much when riding earlier, although it would probably apply equally to any other psycho-cross bike.

I think that it's because the bike is not specifically for one thing, it's not built down to a weight, it's not built up to a downhill, it's just a bike that you can do stuff on without being too worried.

I had road bikes when I was in my teens and I had no worries riding them around the farm. They were strong enough to take it, they had tyres that didn't puncture at the first sight of a stone, you just got on and went for a ride.

It appears, to me, that the ethos behind the CX bikes is the same brought up to date. Road bikes are faster on tarmac, MTB's are more comfortable off road, I have both of those but most of my rides, like today, are a mix of roads, paths, pavements and mud tracks, hopping kerbs and riding through decomposing leaves, branches and twigs that have fallen off in the winter, just doing it. ;)

Yeah. Mine's great for my commute on canal towpaths and through parks etc. What size tyres are you using? I've gone for puncture-resistant 32 slicks for a bit of comfort and resiliance over speed and I'm pretty happy for my route at least. Fast enough.

Norm

I'm still on the stock tyres, because it gets used on a variety of surfaces.

I might look to change when they are worn out (it may take a year or two!) for more specific summer / winter tyres but I haven't found much wrong with the current hoops, other than in deep mud.

Norm

Havent checked the tyre type on my 2010 Tri-cross but just had 2 punctures in as many days - not impressed.
How long have you owned the bike? Is there a chance both punctures were from the same "incident"( For instance, riding through glass you picked up 2 shards, one went straight through, the other took some riding? Or possibly even both from the same piece of glass?

I had the first puncture in the front in around 850 miles last weekend.

Compared to the tyres on the Secteur, which I think were rejected from the Durex ultra-sensitive line because they were too thin, I've been impressed with the tyres on the Tricross. I use mine in a variety of conditions, mostly pretty crap conditions but my Tricross is the do anything scoot in my garage. For that to be the first puncture has impressed me.

Top Bottom