Specialized warranty through evans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Hi Guys

I've finally got around to contacting Evans about the creak/knock in my BB but apparently the BB isnt covered under the warranty (according to their tech guy on facebook! lol)

ive checked the specialized site and it shows a 1 year parts warranty so i have emailed the customer service team at evans with this information to see if this is covered but has anyone had any dealings with them regarding warranty issues? obviously i know things like tyres etc arent covered by the warranty as they are classed as consumables but surely the BB would be?

the other problem i have is that i moved to cornwall so cant get to my nearest evans to get them to check it as the nearest one is still bristol!!!

Pauluk

I would expect the BB to be covered, its not a consumable/wear item as the tyres and tubes are. The person you spoke to is talking out of his a*se. Having said that, don't know what you are going to do as they are in Bristol.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i emailed them so i'll see what they say. the soonest i can get to bristol is december (unless they want to pay for my petrol or a courier)

i think they do have local independant dealers that they use for the ride2work scheme so may be able to use one of them for any work.

Sale of Goods act the item should be fit for purpose if its not then they have to stump up for all the incurred costs including postage, petrol and any other loss you may incur remedying it. Unless you have trashed it the BB should easily have lasted a year.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Had a response, looking promising.

They have asked for a photo and offered to pay postage costs as well, my only issue is being without the bike for any length of time as im trying to get fitter and I use it as my ain commuter and havent got another bike to use.

Pauluk

I assume they want a photo of the BB and your bike may be. I'm not sure why as a photo of the BB may not show anything unless there is some really obvious signs of wear or damage.

Can you extract the BB and photograph along with a photo of the bike then email them over. Perhaps they just want to check that you have got what you say you have. In the email I would ask if they can mail the new BB and allow you to fit it and then return the used/damaged one, explaining that you don't want to be without your bike.

That's what I would want, but I guess most retailers will want to see it first.

Crankarm

Guru
Go to a local LBS get them to inspect and if it is faulty get them to replace it. Send bill or invoice to Evans or maybe they will pay it direct without you having to part with your cash. The cost of postage carriage etc will be disproportionate compared to the cost of a replacement BB unless it is a really fancy one and even then ....................

What is a photo going to show? It won't show play or a grinding when being spun.

Get a quote from your LBS or their dealer for replacement reply with that and tell them a photo would mean disassembly which your not able/willing to do and ask them how they want you to proceed. Do not have any work done without their authorisation.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

it has been ridden all weathers but always cleaned down so souldnt be an issue really.

"cleaned down" = more water and dirt where it shouldn't be. If you want bearings to last, you have to disassemble, clean and regrease them every few months.

I'll take a wild guess that it's a Shimano BB, I've always found them to be shite and treat them as a consumable. The seals are just cheap bits of plastic. On my MTB now I have a Chris King BB and also the special grease injection tool they sell. No bother with that.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i was planning on upgrading to 105 stuff soon (possibly run FSA chainset and cranks) so wasnt too concerned with the BB issue, its just funds are getting very tight so the upgrade is well and truly on the back burner now!!!

i'll email them the details later and see what they say, will also tell them im reluctant to post due to potential damage and the fact i need the bike to commute and see if they would mind an LBS report down here

Top Bottom