Specialized | Whyte | Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bkulacs0410

Hello guys,

I have shared a post before in regards to Whyte Whitechapel V2 vs Boardman Hyb 8.8 and you all recommended Whyte as a commuter in London. Now, I had the Whitechapel in size "L" for like 7 months before it got stolen recently. Fortunately, the insurance company paid me off and I am considering to buy the same in size "XL' or the following ones

2021 Whyte WHITECHAPEL v2​

2021 Boardman URB 8.6​

Specialized Sirrus X 2.0 2021 - Hybrid Sports Bike​

Let me know what you all think. I know the sizing is different for each model. As I said I had the Whyte Whitechapel in size Large and I felt that I could size up a bit sometimes, therefore I am thinking of going for size XL this time. I am 6foot (183cm) tall. Thanks for all your answers in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 23.25.41.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 23.25.41.png
    74 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 23.26.07.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 23.26.07.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 23.27.18.png
    Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 23.27.18.png
    117.5 KB · Views: 15

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m a bit taller than you and like to ride a bike that is strictly too large for me but that’s in road bikes. No experience with hybrids. I would say unless you can try I’d stick with the L.

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

I’m a bit taller than you and like to ride a bike that is strictly too large for me but that’s in road bikes. No experience with hybrids. I would say unless you can try I’d stick with the L.
Hi there. That is for replying. Yeah I hear you, but you know the Whyte sizing is quite different than the other bikes I had. In size large the seat tube length is only 49cm and in size XL is 53cm. I had a Boardman before and their Large sized seat tube length was 54cm 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

it’s all about the virtual tube length ! Look at the specs as this is the dimension of you draw a horizontal line from headtube to seat post
Where do I find the details about that virtual tube length you’re referring to? I’ve never seen that phrase written anywhere

vickster

Legendary Member
Whyte should have size guides and geometries on their website.
Why/where/when did you think you could size up sometimes only and not all the time?

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

Whyte should have size guides and geometries on their website.
Why/where/when did you think you could size up sometimes only and not all the time?
When I had the Whitechapel in size Large I often felt I could handle a bit larger size especially because I had my seat up already, but it was making my posture incorrect and uncomfortable. I also looked at different stems and I bought one that brought the handlebar up 60 degrees. It was a bit better, but maybe with a one size larger one it would be perfect.

vickster

Legendary Member
When I had the Whitechapel in size Large I often felt I could handle a bit larger size especially because I had my seat up already, but it was making my posture incorrect and uncomfortable. I also looked at different stems and I bought one that brought the handlebar up 60 degrees. It was a bit better, but maybe with a one size larger one it would be perfect.
Go try one out.
Or maybe it simply wasn’t the right bike /geometry for you?
How tall are you and how long are your legs? Having long legs to torso ratio, I always have a lot of seat post showing

T4tomo

Legendary Member
....but a bigger frame is going to put the handlebars further away from the saddle, so you may ind you ar reaching "down" even more.

If you feel cramped for room then get a larger frame size, but I think you are saying you find the drop from saddle to bars too far, you you want a more sit up and beg style bike. Maybe a set of riser bars rather than flat bars would work?

OP
OP
B

bkulacs0410

....but a bigger frame is going to put the handlebars further away from the saddle, so you may ind you ar reaching "down" even more.

If you feel cramped for room then get a larger frame size, but I think you are saying you find the drop from saddle to bars too far, you you want a more sit up and beg style bike. Maybe a set of riser bars rather than flat bars would work?
Yeah maybe you’re right there. I’ll take a look at those raised handlebars

Top Bottom