Specialized??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

I'm a student currently studying Product Design, my first project is based around bikes and the brand Specialized. In order to research the field I want to ask people who are interested in bikes and cycling about their views. I would really appreciate it if you could take a minute to look at the short questionnaire below and comment on this post your opinion.
Thanks,
Cycling123

1. Have you ever owned a product from the brand Specialized?
(If answer is yes proceed to question 2 if not skip to question 2b)

2. If so why did you choose to buy this product over a similar product from a different brand?

2b. If not is there a particular reason you haven't bought a product from Specialized?

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo

Yup

2. If so why did you choose to buy this product over a similar product from a different brand?

Local bike shop used to sell Specialized bikes, got a bargain.

2b. If not is there a particular reason you haven't bought a product from Specialized?

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
1. Yes.
2. Their customer service from their Concept Stores was excellent, and we liked the look and spec of their bikes for the money. Also the fact that pros riding their bikes seem to win a lot of races. (Tom Boonen, Niki Terpstra, Contador, Nibali, Cavendish etc.)

2. If so why did you choose to buy this product over a similar product from a different brand? It was what I wanted at that point in time. (it was a fixed gear bike and these were quite niche at that time in terms of off the shelf availability)

2b. If not is there a particular reason you haven't bought a product from Specialized? FWIW I wouldn't buy another as other
manufactures offer far better value for money IMO

Drago

Legendary Member
1. Yes

2. Spec looked good for price (though it turned out to be a bad choice, taught me a lesson about buying bikes based solely on the spec)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
1. Yes. No bikes but shoes (several pairs) & gloves.

2a. Very comfortable and competitively priced.

2b. Helmets : much more than any other brand I've tried; from similar status bike companies to supermarket unbranded ones; Specialized lids are uniquely uncomfortable on my head, they press on my temples and above my ears like medieval instruments of torture. No idea what it is about them & my head combo but just no.

winjim

Smash the cistern
1. Yes, owned but not bought a helmet.

2a. I didn't choose to buy it, it was given to me by the erstwhile owner of the bike which I was buying.

2b. I don't find the brand particularly interesting, they seem overly litigious, and I don't like the Z.

mustang1

Guru
Hi,

I'm a student currently studying Product Design, my first project is based around bikes and the brand Specialized. In order to research the field I want to ask people who are interested in bikes and cycling about their views. I would really appreciate it if you could take a minute to look at the short questionnaire below and comment on this post your opinion.
Thanks,
Cycling123

1. Yes.
2. They had a sale on earlier than a competing brand.
BTW what uni are you at?

OP
OP
C

Cycling1231

Thanks, palinurus, mjray, SamR, Smokeysmoo, raleighnut, Drago, shouldbeinbed, winjim and mustang1 for responding. I really appreciate you all having taken the time to respond.
Thanks again,
Cycling 1231

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes I've bought Specialized equipment

Why did I buy that one.....
Well in the case of helmets it was the testing to a slightly higher standard than the basic test, together with suiting my head shape.
Gloves, they were a good fit, so we're the next pair, the third they changed the design introducing a lump into the palm so that was the last pair I bought.
I'm sure I've had some clothing and I would have bought it presumably as it looked ok.

I am not going to buy something just because it has the brand label or not, I just try stuff and if it works for me I buy it. If I find a product I like then I will buy another when the first wears out, saves loads of searching when it needs replacing.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
1. I own a pair of Specialized mitts, and pair of Specialized cycle shoes.

2. They just happen to be ones available at the store at the time I wanted them.

On a personal note I would never consider buying a Specialized bike. It's a silly reason but I just dont like the word Specialized.

Top Bottom