Specialized??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
1. Yes

2. Stupidity in that I didn't realise how they'd attack cafe Roubaix and launch dealers with topless women.
Didn't know about the topless thing. Just googled it though, and wasn't it just one shop getting things horribly wrong rather than any involvement from the brand? Did Specialized make a statement about it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Didn't know about the topless thing. Just googled it though, and wasn't it just one shop getting things horribly wrong rather than any involvement from the brand? Did Specialized make a statement about it?
Their statement when asked was "no comment" and I think they pulled the plug on specialized-lululemon not long after. Actions speak louder than words, eh?

OP
OP
C

Cycling1231

Hi guys,
I was just wondering if you could also answer a further question.

What would you say is the area for the biggest improvement amongst Specialized’s products?

Thanks for all your responses so far.

Cycling1231

winjim

Smash the cistern
Their statement when asked was "no comment" and I think they pulled the plug on specialized-lululemon not long after. Actions speak louder than words, eh?
From a company known for keeping pretty tight control over their dealers, a "no comment" is not particularly edifying.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Biggest improvement, just keep trying and finding new things, but don't make the new products worse. Little things for example have changed on the helmets so that they have become easier to adjust with one hand the dial at the back. For helmets for me it would be stop giving me helmet hair!

SamR

Rider on the Lancastrian storm
Hi guys,

What would you say is the area for the biggest improvement amongst Specialized’s products?

Cycling1231

The biggest area for improvement would definitely be their prices. Although you're clearly paying a premium for the brand, they could still lower the prices slightly and still maintain a good brand image whilst making their pricing more attractive.

Also, they should offer a bigger variety of bikes. Just being able to buy a frameset instead of the whole bike would increase product appeal. I'd buy one of their framesets. They only currently sell S-Works framesets, which are only satisfying a specific market segment.

mustang1

Guru
I love spesh bike shoes. They fit me like a....glove?
I moved from spesh to northwave and the shoe just didn't fit me well and the buckle broke too.

I've has spesh gloves but found they tore a bit too easily so stayed away from them. Also had a spesh airpump but the nozzle came off so swapped it for a Joe Blow which has been great.

Spesh tires, nah.

The bikes are pretty good though I don't like the geo of the Roubaix coz the headtube goes on for miles. And it looks so stupid.

Spesh bar tape is nice, s-wrap. I also roll with (gosh I'm full of it today arent I :smile:) spesh inner tubes. Won't touch anything else. Buy in bulk, get discount.

Never tried spesh clothes but that's only because I don't like bike company specific branded clothes. Endura for me: cheap enough and good quality for the short rides I do.

Saddles: spesh, the cheap ones. One day I'll try a fizik. And that's it.

Edit: oh yeah and I once got annoyed with spesh because they sued some shop owner which had the name Roval iirc.

Edit 2: the noggin prefers spesh helmets also. Something about additional testing that other brands don't perform. But I think that doesn't apply to the complete range of spesh helmets.

luna456

Hi guys,

Cycling1231

I think the biggest improvement would be for locks. Spesh offers kyrptonite locks currently which are good but I find that the U-bend locks are really heavy. I would like a lock that is lighter for when I'm out riding cause of having to carry it.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I like the spesh brand, one thing that annoys me is that their bikes usualy only come in the one colour. It would be nice to have a choice of either the neon [or race colours] and something more subtle

...the Roubaix coz the headtube goes on for miles. And it looks so stupid.

Grrrrr

D

Deleted member 23692

1 No, never

2b It's a brand I struggle to find any affinity with

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Yes, two of my 3 current bikes are Spech and i have previously owned another 3 of them.

For me as a female it's the sizing. I have never found another bike that fits my frame as they do and talking of frames i consider them to be the best on the market.

gavintc

Guru
Hi,

1. Have you ever owned a product from the brand Specialized?
(If answer is yes proceed to question 2 if not skip to question 2b)

2. If so why did you choose to buy this product over a similar product from a different brand?

2b. If not is there a particular reason you haven't bought a product from Specialized?

1 Have bought a number of their products; helmet, shoes, gloves, saddle but not a bike.
2. Having bought a saddle, I was impressed and bought more items. But, I have never been that impressed by their bikes.

mustang1

Guru
Sorry. I guess you have one? :smile:

Before 2007, the tarmac had a shorter headtube. After that, tarmac received the headtube length of the Roubaix, and the roubaix's was elongated.

I'll admit though it's very difficult to notice unless you're really looking out for it. And I hear its a fantastic ride, so pay no attention to me.

It's a but like Audi's. Everyone thinks they look pretty until you look at a side in view and see how big the damn nose is sticking out in front of the weeks. It's horrendous. Mmh, I hope you don't have an Audi. :smile:

Custom24

Über Member
1 yes I own a Specialized entry level mountain bike, some shoes and a helmet
2 I have zero brand affinity to them or any brand for that matter. In each case with the Specialized purchases, it was because that's what the shop had in, and that's what I ended up with.

Top Bottom