Specific commuting bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamin100

Guru
i know it's not necessary but do people have a bike specifically for going commuting to work on?

I've just started a new job where I don't fancy leaving me good bike in the bike racks - wheel benders in a dusty corner of the underground car park

I have the opportunity to pick up a nearly new 2014 boardman sport which is in immaculate condition for £150

I'm thinking I can use this as a commuting bike and not risk damaging my 'good' bike that I use for weekend runs

Thoughts ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In short. Yes.

gbb

Legendary Member
jamin100 said:
i know it's not necessary but do people have a bike specifically for going commuting to work on?

I've just started a new job where I don't fancy leaving me good bike in the bike racks - wheel benders in a dusty corner of the underground car park

I have the opportunity to pick up a nearly new 2014 boardman sport which is in immaculate condition for £150

I'm thinking I can use this as a commuting bike and not risk damaging my 'good' bike that I use for weekend runs

Thoughts ?
Sounds like a good plan If the £150 is an acceptable price to pay for your peace of mind...I'd go for it.
Ive always been lucky, bike straight into the workshops.

400bhp

Guru
As Ian, in short yes. However, if your commute is going to be the majority of your riding (my commute is probably about 50-60% of my rides) then make sure you choose something that you enjoy.

potsy

Rambler
When I had a relatively poor bike storage area in my last job I was reluctant to use the best bike as it's safety could not be guaranteed due to the amount of bso's that could easily end up piled on top of it.

New job had nasty wheel-bender racks when I started but has since built a brand new covered facility that is much nicer, proper sheffield type stands, cctv, etc.

Therefore I nearly always use the car these days :whistle:

What was the question? ^_^

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I reckon it's worth £150 for piece of mind, knowing that your best bike is safe at home :okay: I'm lucky & have decent secure storage at work, but vowed never to commute on my 'best' bike, however on a few days last year when the weather was really nice I did :blush:

OP
OP
jamin100

jamin100

Guru
Thanks all - it's justified it to me haha

Going to pick it up tomorrow, think it's a good price for the condition. Only £300 at halfords in the sale (with BC discount) so half price isn't bad

Stinboy

Über Member
My winter commute bike quickly turned into my all year round commute bike and from then into my 'sunday best' bike.

Once you've gone fixed there's no going back - it's ruined me for other bikes :smile:

U

User33236

I too have two commuter bikes dependant on weather etc. The n+1 rule works well in my household though :laugh:

iandg

Legendary Member
Always had a dedicated work/hack bike, usually fixed. This winter I've been riding an old Trek converted to single speed with guards and ice tyres. Going to get a Pompino and knock a fixed together in the near future

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use an old Schwinn Impact I modified with drop bars, racks, and mudguards to make a 26" touring and commuting bike, as 700c might be a little hopeful on my old commute route. My new route means I may be looking at a 700c or 27" option, built from an old frame I have lying around, just to see if it gets better speed.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
depends on your commute. if i was getting a commuter bike from scratch, i'd probably want decent disk brakes and the capacity for mudguards. my current commuter has neither (although it does have a crud racer 'guard on the back), but is still ok (an alu-carbon frameset with shimano tiagra groupset)…

Top Bottom