Spectacles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear glasses, apart from the rain problem, they have been fine and not suffered any damage. My current rain cure is wearing a baseball cap which keeps most of it of the glasses, but ruins my hair....

Christopher

Über Member
I use my normal prescription glasees, with a cycling cap to keep rain/sun off, and an enormously expensive pair of Oakley sunglasses (had to have the lenses made) in the sun.
Even if you don't need glasses I'd strongly recommend you get protection, I was bombing down a hill in France in June when a bumblebee splatted on my glasses, right in the middle of the right lens - hate to think what would have happened sans glasses!

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't need glasses for riding from the point of view of seeing where I'm going, but when/if I do then I will have a problem because I can't wear sunglasses either as the sweat just drips onto the inside of the lens. How do others get over this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Pig

I wear Rayban Wayfairers, big dark sun classes. I've tried about four pairs of cycling glasses but the Raybans let air in better.

I've had a stone hit the lens.

k-dog

If they're real Ray Bans they'll have glass lenses so that's a really bad idea - if you get hit by a big enough stone or crash they could shatter badly and damage your eyes.

Happened to Bernard Hinault.

bobg

Über Member
I dont think shortsighted + tri bars has been mentioned yet!.. Unless you have a neck incorporating a 45 degree adaptor you'll find yourself looking over the top of the glasses or having to adjust your position to see through the lenses ... which kinda negates the tri bars. I've yet to resolve this and I'm too tight to pay for prescription lenses on "proper riding glasses":blush:

shimano

you could always 'google' Dennis Taylor and see how he got around the 45 degree neck problem in snooker...

bgussin

flip-up sunglasses

I wear my previous pair of glasses for riding and sports. The prescription is usually close enough. I clip on cheap flip-up sunglasses to help protect my lenses. In the horizontal position they help shade my eyes, and in light rain, they keep my lenses dry. My only problem is in winter riding and fogging up.
After 41-years of single-vision lenses I employed bi-focals. When the time comes, they may work for cycling. I tried progressive lenses and I didn't like the small "sweet spot" for varying distances. And while driving I noticed only a narrow vertical band of focus making periferal vision useless. Also the reading portion was set very high and made walking, curbs and stairs difficult.
So I went to Walgreens Drugs and bought some press-on reading lenses and experimented with their placement on my old glasses. And when I found a position low enough so I didn't notice them in normal use, but high enough to read comfortabley, I took a picture and presented it to the eye-wear place.
They tried to persuade me the line was too low. But I stuck to my guns. They then explained they couldn't make them on site with the division so low and that it may take a couple of weeks. I told them I could wait.
The result? I absolutely love my bifocals and they work very well for me. I have a large panoramic in-focus view, up top, and when I need help to see my watch or read, I can do that too. The split also falls between the computer keyboard and the screen.
The few times I've worn them for biking (while adjusting cables or trying out some new configuration) I wasn't aware of them as they didn't get in the way.
Just my two cents (well, maybe at this point a dollar-89).
Great website! Good discussions! Useful info! Cheers! (As you say.)
Bob

I've been wearing Bolle Parole 2s with prescription inserts and interchangeable lenses (dark and clear) for commuting on a road bike and off-road riding too. Overall they're not bad, heavy rain is a problem (as with any glasses) but I intend to try some of the sprays that repel water. Only other complaint is that the clear lenses are a bit loose fitting in the frames.

However if I could get past the thought of sticking something in my eyes (or could afford prescription ones) I'd go back to Oakley's which I used to use.

Top Bottom