Speed activated warning signs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
On tonight's cycle commute I passed one of these , similar to this.
How-images-300x300-VAS.jpg

I've never paid them much attention however I noticed it clocked me at 18mph then when when looking at my Garmin gps it went erratic for a short while, the screen flashed itself a couple of times, speed showed anything from 80mph to 5mph. My distance travelled shot up and down. It corrected itself quickly but just wondering on the scientific explanation of this.
I assume its to do with the radar sensors in the sign.
I cant say I've ever noticed one of these signs picking me up before to be honest.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There is a sign in a 20 mph limit round here that always flashes to tell me to reduce my speed. The road is dragging uphill there so I am always doing way less than 20 mph. Either it is set to trigger on anything going at any speed, or perhaps it is detecting my feet spinning round and effectively going at 20+ mph on the downstroke?

Roads around my area have recently had speed limits reduced from 30 to 20 mph.

Except right in the middle of one of these roads is one of these signs that smiles at me for doing 29mph or less.

If I was booked for speeding at 28mph could I get off a fine using the loophole that the sign smiled at me?

vickster

Legendary Member
Roads around my area have recently had speed limits reduced from 30 to 20 mph.

Except right in the middle of one of these roads is one of these signs that smiles at me for doing 29mph or less.

If I was booked for speeding at 28mph could I get off a fine using the loophole that the sign smiled at me?

How would you get booked for speeding? It’s not a camera (or is there one of those creepy backwards facing cameras right next to it?)
Presumably, a forwards facing camera could clock you for speeding as you would have already passed the prior sign.

How would you get booked for speeding? It’s not a camera (or is there one of those creepy backwards facing cameras right next to it?)
Presumably, a forwards facing camera could clock you for speeding as you would have already passed the prior sign.

It is a road that occasionally has mobile speed cameras. They are sometimes parked a hundred metres or so beyond the sign.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I hate these things. The local racers around here see them as a challenge - see how high they can get them to go, sometimes posting pics online

• Wow
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Scotchlovingcylist

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can get booked for speeding as such, isn't the wording 'furious cycling' or something just as amusing

Alex321

Veteran
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you can get booked for speeding as such, isn't the wording 'furious cycling' or something just as amusing

On a bike, correct. Speed limits as such only apply to motor vehicles. There is an offence of "Careless or Inconsiderate Cycling", which they could do you under if they felt your speed was unsafe.
I presume Rusty Nails was talking about when driving.

Top Bottom