Speed cushions causing problems, watch out around them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Obviously not simple enough.

If a person is sighted and able to see then they have a responsibility to use that vision to cycle safely and to ensure that with the aid of adequate lights to either see the road ahead, or to travel at a speed where they can.

For someone who is partially sighted then there are issues, but not in this context. If you are going to argue that speed hupps should be removed because they are a hazard to those with poor sight, then you will also need to remove:
Kerbs
Streetsigns
Trees
Illegally parked cars
Buildings
Houses
Shops

The law is about visibility - not seeing.

Not only suggesting it but actually doing it!

.. and I am not the only one. Most experienced cyclists on a mixed commute will have lighting systems that can offer high power when required or lower power when not. It enables us to see the road ahead of us

The CREE T6 offers 3 different levels of brightness, there is no need to use another light if in possession of one of these in either lit or unlit area's....only as a fail safe backup. If anything, the lower powered light should be better used in unlit areas as your eyes adjust to the lower light levels...the reality is though that our eyes function better with higher light levels, and so the lamps sold should conform to a minimum standard which is much higher than the current 4 lumens

The fact that you are using a CREE lamp yourself is testament than you don't consider the minimum standard to provide adequate performance....Next!

@Smeggers II has just agreed with me in his edit ;)

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I know its got different settings but LEDs last sooo much longer...

So lets address this "Things Linford is Scared of whilst Cycling (or driving)" List...

Lorries
Speed Bumps
Pot Holes
The Dark
Narrow Roads ("I do a 5 mile detour to avoid a narrow road" ffs)
Being Overtaken
Not wearing a helmet

... how am I doing, have I missed any?

Why do you have to worry about how long a T6 CREE lamp lasts for on low setting (about 6 hours) ? ....these units are rechargeable

Lorries...yup, had a punishment pass a few months ago..lorries are a primary cause of cycling deaths in London so fear is a healthy emotion around them
Speed bumps...badly maintained ones...I'm not the only one who sees them as a problem, so it isn't in my head,and you shouldn't trivialise them.
Potholes....Yes, see above with badly maintained speed cushions or am I stating the obvious
The dark, no problem with that..I've got a CREE T6 and a 160 lumen backup light if the battery fails on the CREE light ;)
Narrow Roads .... that particular road has been the site of a few cycling fatalities over the years...it is heavily used by lorries and impatient drivers..It spoils the commute to use it.
Being overtaken ...punishment passes because I held someone up for a few seconds....no thanks, sensible passes with good timing, no problem at all !
Not wearing a Helmet....you tell me Smeggers, you still insist on wearing yours when cycling :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

160 lumens (not 4) on an unlit lane
1174410_10151822159648704_180498516_n.jpg

The same lane but with my T6 CREE lamp with 'a few more lumens'

1080513_10151822160218704_147403168_n.jpg

No problem seeing the road surface with the CREE lamp...but with the lower powered one...just as well it is still a good road as you are all but riding blind in relation to the surface quality with lower powered lamps....that is why every man and his dog on this forum is banging on about how good the CREEs are.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2868445, member: 45"]I'm not questioning your claim, but I'd be interested to see some links...[/quote]

Last death was a few years ago on Hyde Lane (at least 2 cyclist deaths in my memory) . They rarely publish inquest results, and the papers online archives generally only go back a couple of years.

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/...olice-appeal/story-15481706-detail/story.html

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/dead-fight-life-crashes/story-16128018-detail/story.html

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/...lance-called/story-11858598-detail/story.html

http://www.gloucestershireecho.co.uk/cut-cars-crash/story-14332469-detail/story.html

This is the road...would you believe that some cyclists put their tyres between the grass verge and the solid white lines so the vehicles can and do pass them at the NSL ..so much for giving a cyclist a metre. The only way to ride this rod is in the primary. I do ride it if I see other cyclists on it as we get strength in numbers, but no, I take a detour on a dead quiet road...cycling to me is about enjoyment....this road gives an adrenaline rush but for all the wrong reasons.

http://goo.gl/maps/7FooJ

I've no doubt that you have driven this road many times to visit your sister when living in Brum. It is one of the busiest roads into Cheltenham during rush hour.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2868532, member: 45"]Thanks. Yeah I've cycled it a few times.[/quote]

You appreciate why many cyclists avoid it if you have ridden it yourself. The worst direction is from Swindon village as there is a gradient up to the dairy which zaps my legs. Cruising along at 20mph, is not so bad if you can maintain it, but when you are down to 12mph, you get a lot of irate motorists up your chuff.

Another answer avoiding the relevant points and making assumptions -

The CREE T6 offers 3 different levels of brightness, there is no need to use another light if in possession of one of these in either lit or unlit area's....only as a fail safe backup.

What about the decision to use two lights because there is evidence to show that a flashing light aids visbility and the steady beam gives better vision and prevents a strobe effect?

If anything, the lower powered light should be better used in unlit areas as your eyes adjust to the lower light levels...the reality is though that our eyes function better with higher light levels, and so the lamps sold should conform to a minimum standard which is much higher than the current 4 lumens

As pointed out before - really rather irrelevant as the law is about being seen. This is what has been shown to a be reasonable intensity

Which again shows your poor knowledge of lighting. The Cree and it's likes are actually not legal in their own right. TO conform, you need a light that meets the RVLR

The fact that you are using a CREE lamp yourself is testament than you don't consider the minimum standard to provide adequate performance....Next!
;)

You have no idea what lights I use and your posts show that ignorance clearly[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Another answer avoiding the relevant points and making assumptions -

What about the decision to use two lights because there is evidence to show that a flashing light aids visbility and the steady beam gives better vision and prevents a strobe effect?

Aids visibility for who, the cyclist or other vehicles ? because a CREE T6 on high is easily as bright to others as my HID bulbed motorbike (probably because the reflector pattern of the T6 is not shaped like that required by an MOT tested vehicle, and does dazzle oncoming traffic with impunity if set high). Make no mistake that everyone else on the road/pavement/passing planes etc knows that a T6 user is there when the beam is on high!

Lets simplify it

1. There is evidence that flashing lights increase the visibility of the vehicle upon which the lights are fixed to any oberver thatis looking at that aforementioned light
2. As above (but obviously not read by you) a flashing light can give astrobe effect, which a second fixed beam light will decrease

I note that you have avoided the two points on the legal matters and how you can claim to know what lights `I use and gone off on a tangent instead

but that was only to be expected as that would have proven the point about your lack of knowledge

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Lets simplify it

1. There is evidence that flashing lights increase the visibility of the vehicle upon which the lights are fixed to any oberver thatis looking at that aforementioned light
2. As above (but obviously not read by you) a flashing light can give astrobe effect, which a second fixed beam light will decrease

I note that you have avoided the two points on the legal matters and how you can claim to know what lights `I use and gone off on a tangent instead

but that was only to be expected as that would have proven the point about your lack of knowledge

This is easy enough to prove. Put a 4 lumen light on strobe 5ft away from a 1600 lumen CREE light on constant and see which draws the eye more from 100ft

This is easy enough to prove. Put a 4 lumen light on strobe 5ft away from a 1600 lumen CREE light on constant and see which draws the eye more from 100ft

Again an answer totaly devoid of any connection with the original post

I could burn a 4x4 on the middle lane of a motorway and it would be visible, and have as much relevance as your reply

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Again an answer totaly devoid of any connection with the original post

I could burn a 4x4 on the middle lane of a motorway and it would be visible, and have as much relevance as your reply

What relevance do 4x4's have to this debate ?

Top Bottom