Speed limit petition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to make cycling more popular, with 20mph speeds, cycle training for all, & cycle networks.
Grammatical error - hence ambiguous. Do they mean, they want it mandatory for all cyclists to go at 20mph? ;):eek: The cagers will probably pick up on this. Pity that these petitions are slung out without more care being given to the wording. :biggrin:

redfox

Trouble is, as soon as you publicise these things they get spammed by the usual bigots.

As in Mr 'I've got a better idea. Build more cycle lanes and force cyclist to use them.' (or Mrs possibly, hard to tell with a name like that.)

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Why would I wish to limit myself to 20mph. I can ride as fast as I like as I always know when it is safe to do so!! (Safe speed impression) ;)

domd1979

Veteran
The petition is too vague. Speed limit of 20mph (that'd be good on say, Birchfield Road wouldn't it?) on what types of road? What types of road justify higher or lower limits? How's it going to be enforced?

The City Centre is a 20mph zone now and the whole thing is a joke - its universally ignored unless traffic volumes are such that it brings the speed down. West Mids Police won't bother to enforce it either.

If it actually gets to the point of having enough signatures to generate a reply (which I doubt) it'll say: £140m for Cycle England, and that most towns have cycle networks (admittedly of the off-road variety).

ian_oli

Über Member
A much more carefully worded petition for a default urban 20mph limit...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/20limit/ ;)

domd1979

Veteran
A good starting point would be to enforce the limits that we've got now. Until they are enforced and adhered to, trying to lower them is a waste of time. There's a 20mph zone in Birmingham City Centre and its completely ignored.

What about 40mph limits in urban areas?

bonj2

Oh look! You've got a signature from Mr I. G. Abetterideabuildmorecyclelanes
andforcecyclisttousethem.

Will1985

Über Member
That would be terrible.....surely this isn't the acf'ers trying to convert the timetriallists to audaxing?!?!?!?

The aim would be to get as close as possible to 30 minutes for a 10miler, with anybody under being disqualified for breaking the law!! :smile:

Top Bottom