1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed limit petition

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Mister Paul, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

2. Pete

Pete Guest

Grammatical error - hence ambiguous. Do they mean, they want it mandatory for all cyclists to go at 20mph? ;):eek: The cagers will probably pick up on this. Pity that these petitions are slung out without more care being given to the wording. :biggrin:

3. redfox

redfox New Member

Trouble is, as soon as you publicise these things they get spammed by the usual bigots.

As in Mr 'I've got a better idea. Build more cycle lanes and force cyclist to use them.' (or Mrs possibly, hard to tell with a name like that.)

4. MartinC

MartinC Über Member

This petition seems to be asking for 20mph limits for cycling. I won't sign it. I guess it's just badly worded.

5. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

Why would I wish to limit myself to 20mph. I can ride as fast as I like as I always know when it is safe to do so!! (Safe speed impression) ;)

6. LLB

LLB Guest

Cue the derision

7. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Cycle training for all? (I don't think the petitioner means that.......or did he?). The next thing the government will want to do is to introduce a cycling test before being allowed on the road. Still, I'm sure it will be a bargain at only £50 per test.

8. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

The petition is too vague. Speed limit of 20mph (that'd be good on say, Birchfield Road wouldn't it?) on what types of road? What types of road justify higher or lower limits? How's it going to be enforced?

The City Centre is a 20mph zone now and the whole thing is a joke - its universally ignored unless traffic volumes are such that it brings the speed down. West Mids Police won't bother to enforce it either.

If it actually gets to the point of having enough signatures to generate a reply (which I doubt) it'll say: £140m for Cycle England, and that most towns have cycle networks (admittedly of the off-road variety).

9. ian_oli

ian_oli Über Member

A much more carefully worded petition for a default urban 20mph limit...

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/20limit/ ;)

10. signed

11. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

A good starting point would be to enforce the limits that we've got now. Until they are enforced and adhered to, trying to lower them is a waste of time. There's a 20mph zone in Birmingham City Centre and its completely ignored.

What about 40mph limits in urban areas?

12. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Is there?? Where??

13. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

I notice the latter has been signed by a Mr. GO AWAY, YOU CAR HATING MORONS

14. domd1979

domd1979 New Member

James Watt Queensway / Moor Street area...

15. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Oh right. That's just one big confusing pavement. It's rubbish.