Speed play pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Who uses speed play? After many years of never trying I may take the plunge. Heard if you stay seated you can really get the power down but not good for standing climbs or sprints.
Any feed back?

Why wouldn't they be good for those ?

You're secure in the pedals.

I have them and really rate them. No need to be particularly fussy with alignment as you can rotate whilst clipped in and the pedals look great on the bike.

Easy maintenance too with a bit of grease.

If I were you I'd get the third party rubber cleat surround so you can walk on them better and protects the cleat too.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru

I have them and really rate them. No need to be particularly fussy with alignment as you can rotate whilst clipped in and the pedals look great on the bike.

If I were you I'd get the third party rubber cleat surround so you can walk on them better and protects the cleat too.

It’s to do with the width of the platform according to you tube videos. Anyway, they do look awesome. I’m sick of my favro’s been unbalanced & having to flick them around. Never got that with my duraace 9100 I sold.
Also with speed play you need to clip in & out 50 times until they stop been tight. If you look after them they should last as they’re more expensive overall.

It’s to do with the width of the platform according to you tube videos. Anyway, they do look awesome. I’m sick of my favro’s been unbalanced & having to flick them around. Never got that with my duraace 9100 I sold.
Also with speed play you need to clip in & out 50 times until they stop been tight. If you look after them they should last as they’re more expensive overall.

Not sure I get that. Everyone has stiff carbon soles now don't they so the sole is basically part of the pedal ?

Very easy to click into them anyway - and good riddance to crappy plastic Look cleats.

There's a bit of maintenances on the cleats I guess - a bit of cleaning and lubing but nothing more than that.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

What @cougie uk says. I’ve used them for years, standing up, sitting down, falling off. No problems doing any of them. The only issues are price and the need to very occasionally push some grease into the bearing port. I think all new cleats, certainly the wahoo ones, come with the rubber surrounds now.

Velochris

Über Member
Used them since about 2007 and would never change. Climed steep climbs in the Lakes and never even crossed my mind they were coming loose at any point.

If using new pedals and cleats they feel a bit like walking on ice for first ride it so. They are secure but they need to rough up a little to feel better.

Only downside I see is my winter ones seize every few years or so. Despite a port to add grease the grease cannot work its way down. The inner most bearing is a needle roller bearing and one or two of the needles dry and come loose.

Speedplay claim they cannot be serviced but they can. Bit tricky to get the retaining clip out but once mastered can replace bearings for little cost.

No idea what they are like now Wahoo.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

No idea what they are like now Wahoo.

My latest set are wahoo branded zeros and TBH I can’t see or feel much of a difference between them and my last set of ‘proper’ Speedplays, which also had the rubber bumpers around the cleat mechanism.

All my pedals are pre-wahoo so no idea if they’ve fiddled with the design or materials there.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I can buy the wahoo stainless for £149.99. I get a members discount. I can’t wait TBH!

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
What shoes are 4 bolts? I need new ones anyway & I don’t want to use the plastic adapter shim which defeats the object by increasing stack height.

What shoes are 4 bolts? I need new ones anyway & I don’t want to use the plastic adapter shim which defeats the object by increasing stack height.

I just use LG three bolt ones with the shim.
I don't notice any increase in stack height from Look pedals.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I don’t think I’ve seen any 4 bolt shoes for all the time I’ve been using speedplays. Never noticed any issues with the shims either, although it’s worth making sure you get them tight enough as any slippage after fitting is a PITA.

Top Bottom