Speed play pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
One of each...

edit: one PAIR of each, for clarity

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
My outer casing won’t clip on. Should I try the different blue shims?

Do I need the cleat surround on with titanium nanos?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Why wouldn't they be good for those ?

You're secure in the pedals.

I have them and really rate them. No need to be particularly fussy with alignment as you can rotate whilst clipped in and the pedals look great on the bike.

Easy maintenance too with a bit of grease.

If I were you I'd get the third party rubber cleat surround so you can walk on them better and protects the cleat too.

I’m getting clicking on mostly the right side. Everything brand new. Should I tighten up the 4 screws? Or should I dab the springs in ceramic grease?
I love the feel of these but the noises are driving me mad.

I use dry lube on the springs. You don't want grease - that will collect grit.

There shouldn't be any noise with them - are you sure it's the pedals ?

I have used Speedplay for about 5 year, always with 3 bolt shoes and the shims / adapter plates. I have them on most of my bikes, that includes my Wattbike. The only exceptions are my commuter and mountain bikes.

I have a preference for shoes with very rigid soles so find no difference between be seated or being standing.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I use dry lube on the springs. You don't want grease - that will collect grit.

There shouldn't be any noise with them - are you sure it's the pedals ?

It’s definitely the springs clicking on the pedals. I’ve ordered 1/4 drive 0 & 2 bits for my torque wrench. Maybe the 0 size screws are not tight enough.

It’s definitely the springs clicking on the pedals. I’ve ordered 1/4 drive 0 & 2 bits for my torque wrench. Maybe the 0 size screws are not tight enough.

Are you sure you are using the correct shims for the shoes you have?

If the shims are wrong or the screws not torqued correctly it can result in the cleat warping / bending slightly which can result in it not engaging truly with the pedal and results in a click.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Are you sure you are using the correct shims for the shoes you have?

If the shims are wrong or the screws not torqued correctly it can result in the cleat warping / bending slightly which can result in it not engaging truly with the pedal and results in a click.

I used a set square on them to pick the best shim. It could be the 4 screws need tightening. I know if you over torque them then you’ll struggle to clip in them. See how it is when my new 1/4 driver bits arrive in the post.

Top Bottom