Speed Wobbles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apb

Veteran
So after getting the kids to bed i jumped into the lycra, kissed the wife and headed out for a wee cycle. Whilst out i was going down this hill in East Lothian about 35 - 40 mph and i got a case of the speed wobblies. Not something i have ever had before. I pretty much well thought i was going off and although i didn't think this was the end of me i thought this was going to hurt, a lot.

I manage to slow the bike down eventually and was surprised i was still up right.

Jumped on the internet later that night and on the road.cc website there is an article about it. Stating loosing your grip and moving your centre of gravity back a little lifting off your saddle can sort out the wobbles.

i think i started to wobble when i noticed quite a bit of gravel on this road and moved slightly to avoid it.

Scary stuff, and from now on when out on my own i'm going to re-strain myself when going down hill.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you got away with it. Speed wobbles a.k.a. 'shimmy' have been discussed in many CycleChat threads - take at look at THESE for more information?

Sharky

Guru
Have been experiencing a bit of a wobble myself. Kept checking the front wheel, no problems. Just had a look at the rear wheel and yes a loose/broken spoke, causing the rear while to move from side to side a bit. More noticeable at higher speeds. Must have done the damage when I came down in January. Only done a few rides on this bike, so only just worked the problem. Got a few shimano rear wheels, but only one campag rear. If I can't true, might take the plunge and convert this one to shimano as well.

Top Bottom