Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
uuuh...I thought I was working on my speed and strength this year - it turns out that I've just been working on my strength, judging by last weekend's (race) performance!

TimO

Guru
walker said:
who said tehy triggered a go slow sign?
I haven't said that before, but somehow I did last week. There were no cars or other vehicles about. Either:

(i) The radar reciver was set waaaay to sensitively and it was receiving a reflection back from the top of my wheel (the very top of a wheel is going at twice the speed of the vehicle, the bottom is going at 0mph. Think about it, it is true!) This seems unlikely, since the area that would provide a reflection to the radar would be tiny. It might be amusing to fit some radar reflectors to wheels for this reason though!

(ii) The speed threshold was set very low. This seems more plausible, but I was probably only doing 22-24mph, bimbling in on my commute.

Either was, I wasn't going fast enough to sensibly trigger the sign. I'm willing to believe other signs may trigger for various false reasons as well. They aren't speed cameras, so probably aren't required to be as rigorously accurate.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Elmer Fudd said:
What was the speed limit, 30 ? 40 ? 50 ? If a car did that you'd be slagging the driver off ! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm taking it he added on the percentages that Bonj said to get those speeds. Or maybe not.

I've had 27mph on the flat, and 32 going down a hill in Germany. Thats all on a cheep 6 speed folder.
I think that your speed gradually gets higher, and you get used to it. Like 25mph used to be like super sonic going down hill, but now it seems slower. 32 seemed very fast though, made up for the uphill bit.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I feel a bit guilty now, as one of those quoted in the first post :biggrin:

I'm fat and unfit, so when I ride then I'm always pushing it a bit. sometimes I push it very hard, other times not so hard but I'm always pushing because I'm training and trying to improve my times and speed and above all, lose weight and get fitter.

Luckily for me, I love going fast :biggrin: when I'm peddling at 20mph, on the flat, with no wind and everything falls into place its just an awesome feeling for me, I can't quite describe what it is but I love it :biggrin:

If I was fit and healthy when I started this road riding lark, I'd probably be happy just cruising round, taking in the sights and fresh air.

yenrod

I was, on Sat. doing exactly that, it was pretty ok... As much as I'm fit I'm not so you can't give it up !

Like Sat. eve I was hammered still the same usual Sat night vibe BUT I could feel the tiredness...

It cause Im still doing the chainy...and as It aint been to cool and fine it can take it out of you....

Still, we'll see :biggrin:

Panter said:
I feel a bit guilty now, as one of those quoted in the first post :biggrin:

I'm fat and unfit, so when I ride then I'm always pushing it a bit. sometimes I push it very hard, other times not so hard but I'm always pushing because I'm training and trying to improve my times and speed and above all, lose weight and get fitter.

Luckily for me, I love going fast :biggrin: when I'm peddling at 20mph, on the flat, with no wind and everything falls into place its just an awesome feeling for me, I can't quite describe what it is but I love it :biggrin:

If I was fit and healthy when I started this road riding lark, I'd probably be happy just cruising round, taking in the sights and fresh air.

Jaded

I was indeed inflating my numbers, as bonj said we all did.

48.2 is my highest speed so far...

(that is downhill!)

I have also set off a 40mph Slow Down sigh. I was going 22. There were no other cars about. I had knobblies on, so I reckon it was because the top of the tyre was going at 44mph. I nearly fell off, I was laughing so much. :biggrin:

Top Bottom