1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Elmer Fudd, 8 Oct 2007.

1. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Should I give up now ?

My aim is to 'pootle along' at 12mph on my hybrid commute, 30mph ? I'd probably poop meself !!

Personal 'best' was 28mph down a short, very steep hill with a 'T' junction at the bottom (OK, it was gravity, not me). I think that was when I burnt my brake blocks off !!

2. Cab

Cab New Member

It ain't a race, just go at a pace you're happy with. Its good to wind up the legs and really go sometimes, get the blood flowing, but it ain't mandatory :biggrin:

3. longers

longers Veteran

Don't give up. :biggrin:

Don't worry about speed, the time to worry is when you're not enjoying the cycling.

4. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

nowt wrong with a pootle elmer.

5. walker

walker New Member

who said tehy triggered a go slow sign?

I'm sure well voer a year ago on c+ we all found out that a cyclist does'nt have enough mass to set one off. I'm sure there was pictures and footage of actual proof too

6. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I did 36 yesterday morning down a steep hill with traffic lights at the bottom. Good thing my brakes work, eh?

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

It's a well known fact that when people are boasting on a cycling forum about how fast they cycle, they usually add on between 20% and 25% to the claimed figure.

8. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

When I commute (rarely, unfortunately) I go through a village with a speed indicator. If no traffic behind me, it usually clocks me at 12-14mph (and confirms my cycle speedo). I'm not the size of a car, so .....

9. I've set off a 30 limit sign (downhill I admit...)

So, whether my bike & I have sufficient mass or no, I have empirical proof it's possible.

10. Jaded

Jaded New Member

I've ridden at 40 on the flat and 60.25 downhill.

11. Cycling Naturalist

Cycling Naturalist Legendary Member

So, when people claim to be able to keep up with the traffic on dual carriageways, they're exaggerating? :biggrin:

12. Cab

Cab New Member

Depends. We talking the A14 between quarter to eight and quarter to nine in the morning? I could usually keep up on foot :biggrin:

13. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

Sorry, but is this the man who boasts of overtaking 37 cyclists on the way in to Cambridge?

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

What was the speed limit, 30 ? 40 ? 50 ? If a car did that you'd be slagging the driver off ! :biggrin: :biggrin:

15. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

bloody everything, it seems!