Speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
clocked over 30mph without a tailwind, gradient or slipstream. didn't last for ages as the road rose upwards before i turned off, but a nice start to the day nonetheless.
I seem to max out at 26-27 at the moment, I'm looking forward to breaking 30...................one day
I did 35mph this morning and triggered the 'slow down' sign

Should I give up now ?

My aim is to 'pootle along' at 12mph on my hybrid commute, 30mph ? I'd probably poop meself !!

Personal 'best' was 28mph down a short, very steep hill with a 'T' junction at the bottom (OK, it was gravity, not me). I think that was when I burnt my brake blocks off !!

Cab

It ain't a race, just go at a pace you're happy with. Its good to wind up the legs and really go sometimes, get the blood flowing, but it ain't mandatory :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
Don't give up. :biggrin:

Don't worry about speed, the time to worry is when you're not enjoying the cycling.

walker

who said tehy triggered a go slow sign?

I'm sure well voer a year ago on c+ we all found out that a cyclist does'nt have enough mass to set one off. I'm sure there was pictures and footage of actual proof too

Globalti

Legendary Member
I did 36 yesterday morning down a steep hill with traffic lights at the bottom. Good thing my brakes work, eh?

bonj2

It's a well known fact that when people are boasting on a cycling forum about how fast they cycle, they usually add on between 20% and 25% to the claimed figure.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
When I commute (rarely, unfortunately) I go through a village with a speed indicator. If no traffic behind me, it usually clocks me at 12-14mph (and confirms my cycle speedo). I'm not the size of a car, so .....

I've set off a 30 limit sign (downhill I admit...)

So, whether my bike & I have sufficient mass or no, I have empirical proof it's possible.

Jaded

bonj said:
It's a well known fact that when people are boasting on a cycling forum about how fast they cycle, they usually add on between 20% and 25% to the claimed figure.

I've ridden at 40 on the flat and 60.25 downhill.

bonj said:

So, when people claim to be able to keep up with the traffic on dual carriageways, they're exaggerating? :biggrin:

Cab

Patrick Stevens said:
So, when people claim to be able to keep up with the traffic on dual carriageways, they're exaggerating? :biggrin:

Depends. We talking the A14 between quarter to eight and quarter to nine in the morning? I could usually keep up on foot :biggrin:

ChrisW

Cab said:
It ain't a race, just go at a pace you're happy with. Its good to wind up the legs and really go sometimes, get the blood flowing, but it ain't mandatory :biggrin:

Sorry, but is this the man who boasts of overtaking 37 cyclists on the way in to Cambridge?

Top Bottom