Speedplay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
As requested I've been given Wiggle vouchers for Christmas as I wanted to buy some Speedplay pedals.

Unfortunately when I logged into Wiggle I realised that the choice isn't quite as straightforward as I first thought :sad:

There are different types of Speedplay pedals that I'm finding it hard to get my head round.

First of all, Wiggle sell 3 different types - Zero, Light Action and Ultra Light Action. It looks to me that Light Action and Ultra Light Action are the same thing but they're just not consistent with the naming???

So my questions are:
1 Are Light Action and Ultra Light Action the same thing? and, if not, not what's the difference?
2 What's the difference between Zero and Light action/Ultra Light Action? (I think this might be the ability to adjust more but not sure what it is you can adjust).
3 Titanium is outside of my budget so it's Chrome-Moly or Stainless? Any difference in use, maintenance or longevity?
4 What comes in the box? I assume it's the Pedals, Cleats and everything you need to fit them to a shoe.

Any further info/advice from people who use them would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys :smile:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I can only comment on what I have which are Chrome-Moly Zero's. I have two sets are they are great.

Yes, out of the box you do get everything you need but you can get a little steel plate as an extra which is worth buying to protect the cleats. You might want to buy some coffee caps too.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
I'm looking at getting these. It looks like the covers come with it (or at lease they're in the image). Unfortunately they're out of stock at the moment so I'll email them to make sure while I'm waiting for them to come back in.
Capture.JPG

Vertego

Just reflecting on the meaning of life.
At that price, the stainless steel are a better bet than the cromoly ones. Regardless of which cleats.

Must say that I'm surprised if the walkable cleats are included. If they are not then I would make a big song & dance - misrepresentation!

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
4 weeks on and they still aren't back in stock :sad:

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Unfortunately I have Wiggle vouchers to use so I’m stuck waiting :smile: their stock went from zero to just one in stock so it’s likely a returned item rather than new stock.
I’m waiting for them to get more black ones in (or possibly red for a bit of bike bling).

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have Zeros and Light Action/Ultra Light action pedals.
The zero cleats and the lights/ultra light cleats are different, so not inter changeable. I rode on the lights for a year but now use the Zeros as they took me a while to break in. Now they have worn in, they are amazing. You won’t regret the speed play purchase.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
They just came back in stock, at the same price, but they don't come with walkable cleats anymore :sad:

I chatted to one of their online representatives who told me that no Speedplay Pedals come with walkable cleats - despite the fact that:

1. their advert has specifically stated that they do for at least the last 5 weeks until now.
2. I contacted them 4 weeks ago and they replied saying that they come with the walkable cleats.
3. there's still a picture of the walkable cleats on their own site on the pedal ad (see my screen shot above).
4. every other online site sells them with the walkable cleats.

I made the mistake of asking for Wiggle Vouchers for Christmas so I'm stuck with them unfortunately. Guess I better fork out the extra £50 to buy the walkable cleats seperately :sad: Guess who I won't be buying them from?

Attachments

• Capture 11.JPG
    Capture 11.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Capture 22.JPG
    Capture 22.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Product description still says cleats included.

Product Data
Weight (g): 206
Axle Material: Stainless Steel
Cleats Included: Yes
Use: Road, Tri, TT
Road: Yes

I would order them and if they don't have cleats use the free returns service.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Veteran
Apparently they have standard V2 cleats but not the rubberised walkable ones (which incidentally are still pictured on the Zero pedal page). I’ve ordered them anyway and ordered the walkable cleats separately. I even ordered the torque tool but only to use up the last of my Wiggle vouchers as I don’t intend shopping there again.

Top Bottom