Speedwatch group more alarmed by cyclists than speeding cars...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Group found cars going 40 in a 30 zone one going 50.

“What was perhaps more alarming were the cyclists who on average came past the bus stop at between 30 to 35mph,” said the group’s manager, Gregg Manning.

He believes combined impact rider and bike would have on a pedestrian would cause serious injuries or even death. But not a speeding car it look's :wacko:

He even admits cyclist not breaking the law but then add's “What is even worse is that unlike bikers who wear protective clothing, these riders wear the thinnest of material with lots of bare flesh. Bare flesh and tarmac do not mix.

Remind me how many car's kill someone each year ?
Sound's like when I got smashed up by a car I should think at least it was not a cyclist with bare flesh on show. :rolleyes:

https://road.cc/content/news/262249...0mph-motorists-says-dartmoor-speedwatch-group

lazybloke

Considering a new username
On average? Steep hill or was a pro race coming through?

1,800 road deaths and 150,000 + incidents caused by motor vehicles are accepted as a normal thing, just like speeding cars. They're background noise, something always there.

Cyclists stand out as an outlier - they're not there in the background - they're different. That's why people want to control them. Make them wear hi-viz, helmets etc. Anything to stop them causing an issue.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Group found cars going 40 in a 30 zone one going 50.

“What was perhaps more alarming were the cyclists who on average came past the bus stop at between 30 to 35mph,” said the group’s manager, Gregg Manning.

He believes combined impact rider and bike would have on a pedestrian would cause serious injuries or even death. But not a speeding car it look's :wacko:

He even admits cyclist not breaking the law but then add's “What is even worse is that unlike bikers who wear protective clothing, these riders wear the thinnest of material with lots of bare flesh. Bare flesh and tarmac do not mix.

Remind me how many car's kill someone each year ?
Sound's like when I got smashed up by a car I should think at least it was not a cyclist with bare flesh on show. :rolleyes:

https://road.cc/content/news/262249...0mph-motorists-says-dartmoor-speedwatch-group
The same kind of hypocritical rubbish is printed in Australia frequently. I'm glad I'm leaving the house this morning to spend a month overseas, because Australia's attitude to cyclists is deplorable.

Good morning,

Initially I felt the same as others but if you read the article and remember that it comes from a local paper where it may be assumed that the readers know the area it does make some sort of sense.

Not a lot of sense, but some, that car drivers speed is accepted, and not news.

That really is too fast to be entering any village, let alone one where the road narrows to a single lane over the bridge.

The concern, whether real or not seems to be that cyclists, who may be quiet on the roads are going into a change of road where the road narrows to a single lane and a bridge without having any way of knowing what is on the other side of the bridge.

G1.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...x821868080bb6caa0!8m2!3d50.595264!4d-3.905352

If you look really carefully you can see a footpath that crosses the road just as it narrows and passes over the river.

If you are on that footpath it may not be possible to see a cyclist as he will be hidden by the bridge until he is actually on the bridge, at that point a crash seems inevitable.

If the road really is that dangerous why does it have a 40mph speed limit though?

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Good morning,

Initially I felt the same as others but if you read the article and remember that it comes from a local paper where it may be assumed that the readers know the area it does make some sort of sense.

Not a lot of sense, but some, that car drivers speed is accepted, and not news.

That really is too fast to be entering any village, let alone one where the road narrows to a single lane over the bridge.

The concern, whether real or not seems to be that cyclists, who may be quiet on the roads are going into a change of road where the road narrows to a single lane and a bridge without having any way of knowing what is on the other side of the bridge.

View attachment 470772

https://www.google.com/maps/place/P...x821868080bb6caa0!8m2!3d50.595264!4d-3.905352

If you look really carefully you can see a footpath that crosses the road just as it narrows and passes over the river.

If you are on that footpath it may not be possible to see a cyclist as he will be hidden by the bridge until he is actually on the bridge, at that point a crash seems inevitable.

If the road really is that dangerous why does it have a 40mph speed limit though?

Bye

Ian
You are supposed to keep your eyes open for other road users though, as well as your ears. Sat inside something removes any chance of the ears catching the approach of a cyclist though.

A Parish Councillor, who's also a fan of keeping the roads near his house quiet and free flowing. Most of the speed checks done around the volunteers addresses, and his.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
As a Parish Councillor, he has to live within his Parish, and he would have no ability to operate a Speedwatch anywhere other than in the Parish. I expect that's why they happen hear the addresses of those who live in the Parish.

bladderhead

So who is this "group" and who is Gregg Manning? People like this used to write to their local newspapers in green ink all the time. Now they are all over the internet and the local papers are disappearing. The internet is full of cobblers of all kinds. I should know, I am a prolific contributor. Why does Gregg Manning matter more than me?

classic33

Leg End Member
As a Parish Councillor, he has to live within his Parish, and he would have no ability to operate a Speedwatch anywhere other than in the Parish. I expect that's why they happen hear the addresses of those who live in the Parish.
All within a small area, that doesn't cover all the parish.

Top Bottom