Spent over £140 on Assos shorts and look....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
...what has happened after just three rides!

Ok, 3 x 160km rides, but never the less I only bought the dam things exactly one month and one day ago.

Despite my best afforts, sadly I cannot capture in a picture just how bad this "pilling" is.

assosbibshorts.png

Now take into consideration, I have been riding this bike with this saddle and Endura Pro shorts for three years and have not had a problem.

All my other road bikes also have exactly the same make/style saddle, again no with zero problems?

The shop have asked me to return them, and they will return them to Assos for inspection. But they have made suggestions that it will be classed as general wear and tear.

After three rides, get real for feck sake...........;):smile:!:biggrin::angry:

Serves me right for spending a stupid amount of money on one pair of shorts I suppose. ;)

barbie

Stick to your guns. Fight for your rights as a consumer. Tell Assos that you're taking this as far as you can until they either refund or replace these shorts.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
barbie said:
Stick to your guns. Fight for your rights as a consumer. Tell Assos that you're taking this as far as you can until they either refund or replace these shorts.

I have already indicated to the shop (and to Assos via e-mail to thier customer services) that I do not want another pair, its either a full refund or replaced with two pairs of Endura Pro bib shorts.

I bought a Assos Air Block jacket just after Christmas and the zip failed after the very first ride!!!! But to be fair to the shop (not the same one I must add) they offered me a full refund straight away.

As far as I am concerned that's Assos and me finished with. Shame coz they make nice socks, and after all, what can go wrong with a pair of socks?

barbie

You can let them know you'll be letting the OFT (Office of Fair Trade) also in on the shabby shorts.

Google OFT and a few other legal rights that you have. If you used your credit card to purchase these defective shorts, do a chargeback - and IF you turn the shorts in, remember to get a receipt from the store and a manager's signature that you returned them. Do NOT let them out of your hands without a siggy!

barbie

LOL Ringing the police is extreme. But so many customer's aren't aware of their rights and too many people take what they're dished and don't fight for what's right.

You spent a lot of money on those shorts and hopefully, Asso will do right by you. No harm in letting them know you know that you have rights.

potsy

Rambler
I'd be amazed if they didn't refund you the full amount,but I'd be gutted spending that much on a pair of shorts to turn out that bad.
Endura stuff has been good so far for me.

Garz

Squat Member
Agreed with potsy, and OP, I mean that kind of money commands quality products end of.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
topcat1 said:
That looks like the dreaded velcro has rubbed against your shorts

No Velcro anywhere near them, in fact the rubbing is so high inside the leg it has to be the saddle?

I think the problem is two fold, 1) the type of material used in Assos shorts. 2) I do have big thighs, and I'm talking big thighs. :biggrin:

As I said before, I have never had an issue with Endura bib shorts, but in saying that, Endura do use a different material. I don't know how to describe it, other than it seems more industrial and robust than the very lightweight Assos material?

In truth I have been very happy with the Endura shorts, but I am riding LeJOG on August 15 and due to the very tight time schedule (8 days) I decided to treat my under carriage to some quality padding. :laugh:

Believe me, I just didnt wake up one day and decide to spend a stupid amount of money on shorts on a whim. Every write up suggested that yes they are expensive, but they will last a good amount of time and yes they are very comfortable.

Well, the write ups are correct on two of those accounts, yes they are expensive and yes they are very comfortable. But given my experience, I'm not to sure on the durability bit though???

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Your contract is with the shop, they should either refund or exchange, then they sort the problem with Assos, not your problem. £140 they might be comfie but they seen you coming.

P.H

Über Member
The Jogger said:
Your contract is with the shop, they should either refund or exchange, then they sort the problem with Assos, not your problem. £140 they might be comfie but they seen you coming.

You're correct, but what does it mean?
It doesn't mean mean they have to instantly sort it out without determining the cause of the problem. I think the legislation refers to "Reasonable time" without giving a definition. You can't expect a retailer to have the same expertise as the manufacturer, so most people would consider it reasonable to return it to them for an opinion.
The only exception to that is the short period after purchase, before you are deemed to have accepted it. It's also worth noting that that a fault that shows up within six months of purchase is deemed to have been there at the time, and comes under sale of faulty goods.
davidg had it right - give them a chance to answer before jumping in with guns blazing.

yello

In my limited experience, Assos are a decent company. I'd be very surprised if they didn't offer replacement at least.

In my case, I had no joy from the dealer and dealt with Assos directly but the dealer is your first port of call.

Top Bottom