Spesh Armadillos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willo

Finally going to change the std mondo tyres on my Allez and have settled on Armadillos. Looking around, some good deals online on the Elite version. Anyone got any experience and are the Armadillo Elites worth the extra few bob over the standard version
thnks

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I use the 23mm on my Ribble, a real b**** to get on when new, never had a p******e done around 4 months and 1000 miles on them, they are good in the wet, little harder ride but I like it that way, go for ithe normal ones IMHO

Crankarm

Guru
I have Armadillo All Condition Pros on my Sirrus - 23C front 25C rear. They have never punctured in 3 years. They weren't hard to get on. Can't comment getting them off as never had to remove them :biggrin:. They are directional so get them on the right way so they rotate in the correct direction. They may use a little harder compound than the normal All Condition Armadillos as they seem to last longer. Grip is good. Not found them to be skittish on my bike. Though I do have hand built Open Pro CD wheels with decent hubs and superieur bike handling skills :smile:.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I've used various types of Armadillos in sizes ranging from 23-28 mm. I really like them, I find they can a bit sketchy in the wet- not a problem: go around corners a bit slower. I have had zero punctures* (on Armadillo-clad bikes) since Oct 2005. Of course I'm probably an outlier, but for me they are lucky tyres.

*once my tyre went flat while I was at work. I changed the tube but couldn't find a hole in the one I removed so I discounted that one. Maybe some peanut let the tyre down. Actually it was on the front wheel-so almost certain that some peanut let the tyre down.

zacklaws

Guru
My views of the tyre seems to differ, I have them on both my road bikes (picked a good day to ask the question too), as for puncture proof they are not that reliable, today I punctured twice within 30 minutes, both front and back, large flints right through the tyre and is certainly not the 1st puncture that I have had with them. The tyres themselves I find they cut very easily (my back tyre is only 3 months old and well cut in places) and when I remove the back tyre to put my turbo tyre on, I'm surprised how many flints that I find embedded in the tyre itself which I have not noticed before and all have penetrated through to the inside, why I don't puncture more amazes me. As a test I pushed a drawing pin into one of my tyres and it took no effort to pass through the tyre, thought there may have been more resistance.

Just had to exchange one tyre just over 2 months old, 700+ miles, as the outer laminate peeled off whilst out riding, scared me to death, but doing an online search found a few references to such happenings but mainly in America.

Handling in the wet I have had no problems with and on one notorious corner I crashed last year at 19mph on Bontrager tyres in the wet, which I have always took at never less than 29mph on the specialized all condition elites, today I put the gremlins to bed on that wet corner and sailed round at 27mph on the specialized again, it was squeeky bum stuff though in case I crashed again but got my confidence back.

But despite what I say, I have found them excellent tyres, punctures are not that common, a lot may be where you ride, most of the roads I'm on are just full of crap the farmers drop and today I knew it would be a bad day before I set off (probably too many negative waves), easy to fit, apart from my new one which is a b****d to fit its that tight. When I repaired my punctures today, I can fit one of the tyres with my fingers, but my new one, it has to be levered on with a struggle and a struggle to remove.

But deep down if I could find a cheaper option then I would take it.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I have the Armadillo Crossroads on my MTB. They went on really easily, have good grip on the road and roll well. Expensive but a sound investment in my eyes.

GrahamG

Guru
Fine for urban/winter commuting but christ they're heavy - I'd never given tyre weight a second thought before but when I got rid of the armadillos for Bontrager hardcase (less than half the price at the time) I was immediately struck by the improved grip and speed, my bike no longer felt like a tank. The Bontragers have proven to be fairly equal in terms of puncture resistance but I no longer go past umpteen brummie building sites so probably not a valid comparison.

ACS

Legendary Member
Like Graham I have moved from Armadillo (Nimbus -28's) to Bonty Hardcase (25's). Got 2 visits in quick succession so they had to go. The difference is considerable, the Bonty's roll a lot easier, feel just as sure in the wet and as expected the ride is a tadge harsh. IMO the Armadillo's are suspect in very cold wet weather (like Dec - Jan) just did not inspire confidence. "Skittish" is an excellent description. ;)

Given the price difference it will be interesting to note if Bonty's last as long as the Armadillo's?

zacklaws

Guru
Bontrager Hardcase is one of the options I am or was considering, but after crashing on Bontrager race lites cornering and examining the hardcase's since, I see no difference between the two tyres apart from a puncture protective belt inside the hardcase so I have no faith in their road holding, but the hardcases do get very good recommendations for being a good tyre, but not recommended at all for when it comes to road holding on wet roads when I search on line.

The internet's a wonderful thing, just done a search for latest hardcase reviews, and the consensus now makes it a good tyre in the wet now, maybe the tyres been improved so its back on the menu again, especially for the price.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Thanks for the replies - generally, I just want something more puncture resistant compared to currently, particularly when cycling to the station early in the morning where a p******* leads to being late for work. Armadillos seem to be the right balance of being more resistant but not impossible to change road side. Shop local to work was out of stock at lunch today so I'll I have to wait a couple of days. Going to go for the standard Armadillo All Condition - unless you lot give me more food for thought to change my mind:biggrin:

bad boy

Über Member
zacklaws said:
Bontrager Hardcase is one of the options I am or was considering, but after crashing on Bontrager race lites cornering and examining the hardcase's since, I see no difference between the two tyres apart from a puncture protective belt inside the hardcase so I have no faith in their road holding, but the hardcases do get very good recommendations for being a good tyre, but not recommended at all for when it comes to road holding on wet roads when I search on line.

The internet's a wonderful thing, just done a search for latest hardcase reviews, and the consensus now makes it a good tyre in the wet now, maybe the tyres been improved so its back on the menu again, especially for the price.

Interesting in all honesty what tyre is *good* at cornering in the wet ?, what im saying is its all a much of a muchness tread on tyres is mainly for "customer confidence" as opposed to anything else. The ony reason cars have tread is due to water dispersion and aqua planning, it is impossible to aqua plane with a bicycle so you dont actually need tread it does not really add much at all to wet handling capabilities in that you need to be carefull cornering with all tyres in the wet regardless of tread.

I use the slick Roubaix Armadillos elites on my commuter now and find them fine no different to the all conditions (with tread I was using previous).

zacklaws

Guru
Willo said:
Thanks for the replies - generally, I just want something more puncture resistant compared to currently, particularly when cycling to the station early in the morning where a p******* leads to being late for work. Armadillos seem to be the right balance of being more resistant but not impossible to change road side. Shop local to work was out of stock at lunch today so I'll I have to wait a couple of days. Going to go for the standard Armadillo All Condition - unless you lot give me more food for thought to change my mind:biggrin:

If its just for commuting, have you considered Swalbe Marathon's or Marathon + as they are a popular choice for commuting and plenty of threads about them, I used to use them and only punctured on the Marathon's twice in 3000+ miles and never in about a 1000 miles on the +'s. The smallest size is 700 x 25C if they would fit your bike. I only stopped using them , apart from on my commuter bike, in favour of "All condition elites" as they were easier to fit, Marathon +'s are a pig to fit so stopped using them as I could not afford to puncture miles from home as it could take me up to two hours to fit a pair of them, but normal marathons are easy to fit.

zacklaws

Guru
bad boy said:
Interesting in all honesty what tyre is *good* at cornering in the wet ?

I actually test any new tyre that I have never used before, to give me an indication of how grippy they are cornering in the wet in my kitchen when her indoors is out.

I fit the tyres, then bank my bike over with as much weight as I can apply whilst rolling it, and increasing the bank angle and see at what point it looses traction on the linoleum tiles and then repeat with the tiles wet. It's quite surprising what a difference there can be between tyres. It may not be scientific, and I do not change makes of tyres that often so have only tested 4 different makes, but Bontrager race lites for example were completly useless in the kitchen test and out on a wet road found I could spin them easy stood up pedalling up steep hills and sure enough crashed on them eventually in the wet.

Marathons and +'s along with Spesh all condition elites all gripped well with a low bank angle before slipping away, with the marathons slightly better, maybe it was because of the tread and so far no mishaps on the road.

Top Bottom