Spesh Armadillos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
zacklaws said:
Bontrager Hardcase is one of the options I am or was considering, but after crashing on Bontrager race lites cornering and examining the hardcase's since, I see no difference between the two tyres apart from a puncture protective belt inside the hardcase so I have no faith in their road holding, but the hardcases do get very good recommendations for being a good tyre, but not recommended at all for when it comes to road holding on wet roads when I search on line.

The internet's a wonderful thing, just done a search for latest hardcase reviews, and the consensus now makes it a good tyre in the wet now, maybe the tyres been improved so its back on the menu again, especially for the price.

The description of your crash suggests that maybe you hit a patch of diesel or some other random sludge - with the speeds mentioned it seems like a random incident rather than something to blame on tires.

zacklaws

Guru
There was no diesel or anything on the road apart from water, I knew it was dodgy as I had previously lost grip so was holding back downhill, then the bike started to slide on the straight before I got to the corner, so I let go the brakes and pray to try and keep on, then when I got to the bend both wheels went so I straightened up before they completely went and ended up cross country, finally crashing. Mind you it was a steep hill and brakes were about as much use as tits on a bull as gravity seemed to have the upper hand.

Past records show I have never done it less than 29mph round the bend, even wet, when I lost it I was only doing 19mph on the straight, yesterday with spesh all condition tyres in the wet, without looking it up, I think it was 27mph round the bend.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Well, I've bought the Armadillos now (sitting on my desk here at work) so will find out if they're any good once I get round to fitting them....need to get the bike out after falling into a lull with all the cold weather, but now spring is in the air.................

Mr Celine

Discordian
Both the Nimbus Armadillos on my Sirrus delaminated. The rear after 2000 miles with no punctures, destroyed itself during a test of new brake pads - briefest lock of the wheel took all the tread off. Front tyre lasted nearly 6000 miles until I got fed up of the squelch squelch squelch noise caused by the spots where the tread had seperated from the rest of the tyre, plus the thought that an emergency stop would probably shred it. That tyre only ever had one puncture, caused by a hawthorn.

I use Conti gatorskins now. Not quite as p***ture resistant but a much better ride and more confidence inspiring in the wet.

OP
OP
Willo

Willo

Well I fitted them this morning - had a bit of a wrestle getting the first one on the front wheel but the back one went on much easier with the help of a lever (could get the previous mondos on easily by hand). I thought the slick tyres were more becoming of a road bike but putting my tartiness aside:smile: I decided to go for a quick spin.

Shortly after setting out, the heavens opened so spent an hour or so out in the wet and they felt okay. Initially, the ride felt a little harsher than the previous tyres, but then again I hadn't been out on the bike for a while so that may have been me (plus I had them pumped up to the max).

For a while they felt a little less sure than the previous tyres - couldn't put my finger on it. I wasn't slipping as such, but just had a sense my rear wheel was wasn't gripping and would give if I took a bend too quick in the wet. However, that seemed to pass (or I just got used to it). Also, whilst early days, no visits after a couple of circuits through some country lanes full of pot holes and stones etc. (jaysus the roads are a mess after the winter).

itchyrider

Aka Chris
Its kinda strange that when your riding and you hear a repeating crunch you just stop and pull out that piece of glass you collected from your tyre and throw it away and carry on with your journey???? Brilliant! i have the nimbus.

Tynan

Veteran
tyre theads are all a bit meaningless really without consideratio of riding style and routes, someone bimbling along on a nice road might go for ever without a flat, someone riding hard on bad roads might trash tyres rapidly

I know I've found some rated tyres that some love very poor, usually for cutting up but also for being unerving in the wet on corners

zacklaws

Guru
Well today is my last ride with Spesh Armadillo's All Condition, I've had enough of them, after 2 punctures just about a fortnight ago and finding this morning when I checked my tyres I had punctured yesterday on my ride.

After changing inner tube and inspecting the tyre, set off for a 50 mile ride, battled into the head wind for 15 miles and on occasions thinking my bike was a bit wobbly but blamed the wind, then when I got into a bit of shelter, became aware of a rythmic bump from the back wheel, suspecting a stone stuck in my tyre, I was alarmed to see that I had a big kink in the tyre and when I looked I saw that the beading was coming apart. Time to head back home before it blew off the rim completely, released about half the pressure out the tyre, and slowly rode home expecting it to go anytime, when I got onto the better road where there was less chance to puncture let some more air out and had a right good wobbly ride.

The tyre that had delaminated a little while ago, I got exchanged under warrranty, and when I can I will return this one too. If they exchange it also, then they will both end up on EBAY. My records indicate this tyre was fitted 2 months ago and I did 997 miles on it.

Now I need something to replace them?

Just bought a set of Bontrager hardcase all weather, they seemed more stronger than the normal hardcase's and Gatorskins, so I'll see how they go.

Top Bottom